• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Went to my private property today and found this

I caught some people trout fishing out of season twice. Only knew they was trout fishing cause I watched them fill up a
5 gallon full. The first time I called the poacher number and the guy got out there too late and missed them. That number is for certain guys in the region well he was 2 counties over. He told me if I see something and can catch the people in the act too call 911 and tell them you need at game warden. They will send the closest one too you. Unlike the poacher number where thats only for certain game wardens.

Well the 2nd time I went out to that creek to gold pan there they was. The scum was catching trout again this was 3days before opening day. So called 911 told them I needed a game warden and my name and number. The game warden called within 2 mins
And asked what was going on told him and he said ill be there in 10-15mins he was over at dawson forrest. No kidding showed up in 12. He called me meet him up at the road anf I told him how to sneak up on them. Boy they looked pissed coming out of there. Luckily I don't live in jasper anymore cause I'd hate to run into them at a store or something.

All they had to do was come knocking at your door and ask permission to hunt your property respectfully.

The worse you could do is say no which is what most people do now days when confronted by strangers but some guys do have a heart and after some thoughtful consideration and looking you up and down for a once over they just may say yes.

I hunt on a private tract at times that borders dawson forest.....the land owner give my buddy and two guests of his choice permission to hunt it.
The land owner lives out of state as well.

I understand that it can be very hard to find a decent hunting spot and WMA's can really suck at times and sometimes a deer can run onto a neighboring private/ posted tract after you shoot it but in this case, asking permission is far better than asking for forgiveness.....not considering the baiting of course.

I got busted by a land owner a couple years back for hunting on his property after I walked the property with the supposed land owner who said his property went back so far.
Turns out the guy that let us hunt there did not own that far back so I get busted in a tree stand by an angry old man whom was very mad at first until I politely lowered my secured rifle and asked him not to shoot me..lol.
By the time it was over and I explained myself I had him laughing and shaking my hand.

Silly me.....I came to find out that the guy that let me hunt his property told me he must have been mistaken about his property lines, but the old man that busted me actually did not own that property any longer as he sold it to the county a little while back....LOL.

Anyways....I could have been screwed regardless but it was a good learning experience and made me very cautious about taking someone's word about property lines....so WMA's are my new best friend since hunting clubs are expensive and time consuming and good luck getting someone to invite to to their precious hunting club as a guest.

Last edited:
****. I wish I could find the owner of the land. I wouldn't mind asking for permission.

I saw where the person has been coming. I am sure they will be back soon but don't want to confront someone in the woods with them being armed and obviously don't care about laws or respect.

EXACTLY ^^^^, have DNR or the Sheriff take care of it. Maybe watch for him to show up, then Call. Or Talk to DNR, and the Sheriff first and see how they want you to handle it.

You can always just piss in the corn. Deer will not come near it anymore. Just dont plan on hunting near it for a while.

Back
Top Bottom