• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s the absolute best 1” hunting scope (no price limit)

Bennyboy

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
262   0
Reaction score
I’m tired of not being able to see deer as well as I’d like the last 10 minutes of the day. Been running a VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 for a couple of years now and while it’s not bad, I want the best. Problem is 1” tubes are getting harder to find and I really prefer to not go 30mm on a light hunting rifle.

So, what’s the best 1” scope money can buy, namely in low light. I’m eyeing the Swarovski Z5. 2.4-12x50.

No difference in light transmission in a larger tube. Only way to gather more light is with a larger objective. Larger tube allows for a more robust erector and more adjustment range. The human pupil can only open up so far to take in light, usually around 6-7mm in young healthy eyes. 40mm objective set on 10 power is 40/10=4mm. 40/5=8mm. Hence, your eye is able open up and perceive more light to a point and why your scope looks brighter on lower magnification. In a 1” tube, Swarovski, upper end Zeiss, or a Schmidt and Bender summit is probably the best due to the best lens coatings.

The rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye. I already have rings in every height combination for 1” plus the weight difference is why I’m trying to avoid 30mm.

Also, it was my understanding that tube diameter didn’t increase light transmission, just added more windage and elevation. If it aids low light, I’ll definitely consider one.

Back
Top Bottom