• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What can an MP do in the civillian world?

Twiztid

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
Does anyone know what an MP can do as far as detaining ect... in a civillian event. Example, you commit a crime, Mp is present, can he detain you?

Just wondering, have a buddy who is one, and he carries all his equips with him, handcuffs, badge ect.

No Jurisdiction, But may detain for reasons or crimal activity or presumed harm towards others. Until Regular police officers arrive (Oath of office they can be held liable if they stand by and watch a crime.) Thou they should be uniform to Detain.

They have the same authority as any other person as it pertains to Citizen's Arrest. I doubt they have any States Authority unless it is specifically granted.

Many years ago the MP's patrolled downtown Fayettvile NC. and assisted the local LEO's

I was an MP and now I am civilian LEO....

An MP can do NOTHING off base, and carrying around his "gear" is gonna get him into trouble with his command staff should he decide to use it off base.

However, I know in areas like downtown Columbus, they allow some MP supervisors to ride with Columbus PD to deal with all the drunk soldiers on the weekend at the bars....

My advice to your friend would be to go home and put his gear away.... He is gonna put a blemish on his career early on if he continues this.

Back
Top Bottom