• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What can an MP do in the civillian world?

Does anyone know what an MP can do as far as detaining ect... in a civillian event. Example, you commit a crime, Mp is present, can he detain you?

Just wondering, have a buddy who is one, and he carries all his equips with him, handcuffs, badge ect.

he shouldnt carry that

being an MP or even an LEO doesnt make you constable pete at all times everywhere you go. there is jurisdiction and a place for it

He can carry his badge in his wallet and hand cuffs in his car if he wants. He does not, however, have any authority above the average citizen. Is he National Guard? Those guys love waving badges around.

I was an MP and now I am civilian LEO....

An MP can do NOTHING off base, and carrying around his "gear" is gonna get him into trouble with his command staff should he decide to use it off base.

However, I know in areas like downtown Columbus, they allow some MP supervisors to ride with Columbus PD to deal with all the drunk soldiers on the weekend at the bars....

My advice to your friend would be to go home and put his gear away.... He is gonna put a blemish on his career early on if he continues this.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Former MP here as well.

A civilian making a citizen arrest when witnessing a felony or breach of peace, violent misdemeanor is better protected by the courts than a LEO making a warrant less arrest outside the jurisdiction (IE city, county, campus, state et all) under the "color of law". Best policy, is be a good witness and call 911 then provide a good description of suspect(s). Going outside the limitations of these provisions will end a LEO's career faster than anything other than criminal activity.

This too: The statute only addresses the US Army and, since 1956, the US Air Force. It does not refer to, and thus does not restrict or apply to, the National Guard under state authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within its home state or in an adjacent state if invited by that state's governor (in its federal capacity, the National Guard forms part of the Army or Air Force of the United States). The Navy and Marine Corps are prohibited by a Department of Defense directive (self-regulation), but not by the Act itself.[1][2] Although it is a military force,[3] the U.S. Coast Guard, which now operates under the Department of Homeland Security, is also not covered by the Posse Comitatus Act, primarily because the Coast Guard has both a maritime law enforcement mission and a federal regulatory agency mission.

Back
Top Bottom