• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do y'all think really will help?

First off, criminals do not purchase firearms from gun shops (except those that have never committed a crime and are contemplating to do so). Banning the legal purchase of firearms would only exasperate the problems we have with crime. The government needs to go back to the basics and recognize one main thing in our constitution and that is; "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." If criminals new that law abiding citizens were carrying they would think twice about robbing, raping or murdering them. They might just end up being on the business end of a citizens gun barrel and becoming a statistic themselves. We need the government to allow more freedom to legally carry so that we can protect ourselves and our loved ones. Carrying Concealed and then having to leave your gun in the car or even at home because the place you are wanting to go won't allow you to legally carry puts us all at risk.

I mean what if someone in that movie theater were to have been carrying? Would the outcome be different? Would it have been worse? Or would he have been stopped before his killing spree got to the level that it did. Same with other similar situations. i.e. Virginia Tech, the constant robberies and rapes in and around the college campus's in Atlanta and Athens. Would they have decreased or even stopped if the legal aged students were carrying?

I don't have all the answers because I am no expert but what I do know is, that further gun control and banning won't help, it will just make us all victims at one point or another.

My 2 cents... :usa:

This may be harsh but I believe anyone who has ever killed, raped, or molested children should be put to death immediately if found convicted (yes, I know the system is flawed and innocent people are sometimes found guilty). EVEN if they are found mentally unstable a timely death should still be sentenced. no more of this "getting off on an insanity plea" -- I also believe this should be the case for minors over the age/mental capacity of ?... still debating this

Unfortunately we will always be in a re-act world. Until the "pre-cogs" from Minority Report grace us with their presence, we will have no way to predict when a person with psychological issues will "snap". Sometimes its "normal" people who snap. We are humans, and ingrained in us is a propincity and ability for violence. I'm NOT saying we are violent by nature, but all capable. Its about controlling it. I come in contact with a lot of people who live in a different reality than we do. Most of them can control the violence. But its just like a tick time bomb sometimes.

Comes down to this. In the case we are discussing, harsher sentences will not probably work on someone hell bent on what he was going to do. Its a tragedy that we have to learn from. Question is, what is the lesson?

I am just going to be honest....I do not think you can. I mean people are people. Everywhere you go there are issues...there is no country exempt from that! Taking away gun rights just leads to them being acquired illegally, and having loose gun laws makes it easier to get them. The only thing is loose gun laws enable law abiding citizens to get them too ;)

I know these events are tragic, but as a country we also need to see that they are highly publicized. If there were a cover story run for every citizen that owns a gun and does nothing illegal these incidents would pale in comparison to the number of good stories. The bottom line is regardless of what we do, people are at fault. Not laws, not guns, not anything else. Just the people that commited the crime. With that being said as long as there are people, some of them will want to harm others or act irrationally and make big bad decisions.

As individuals the best things we can do in my opinion:
1. Be aware of surroundings and ready to react
2. Take measures to protect yoruself (individual choice, some own guns, some do ther things whatever floats your boat)
3. QUIT GIVING THESE OFFENDERS FAME (I have seen reports before that show some people actually commit these acts with national recognition being a partial motive)
4. SIMPLY PUNISH THE OFFENDERS!!!!!! I don't think there is much else you can do. Punish the shooter and anybody that helped plan or knew of it etc.....but do NOT change anything in the general public. 99% of gun owners do NOT go on shooting sprees.

I am just going to be honest....I do not think you can. I mean people are people. Everywhere you go there are issues...there is no country exempt from that! Taking away gun rights just leads to them being acquired illegally, and having loose gun laws makes it easier to get them. The only thing is loose gun laws enable law abiding citizens to get them too ;)

I know these events are tragic, but as a country we also need to see that they are highly publicized. If there were a cover story run for every citizen that owns a gun and does nothing illegal these incidents would pale in comparison to the number of good stories. The bottom line is regardless of what we do, people are at fault. Not laws, not guns, not anything else. Just the people that commited the crime. With that being said as long as there are people, some of them will want to harm others or act irrationally and make big bad decisions.

As individuals the best things we can do in my opinion:
1. Be aware of surroundings and ready to react
2. Take measures to protect yoruself (individual choice, some own guns, some do ther things whatever floats your boat)
3. QUIT GIVING THESE OFFENDERS FAME (I have seen reports before that show some people actually commit these acts with national recognition being a partial motive)
4. SIMPLY PUNISH THE OFFENDERS!!!!!! I don't think there is much else you can do. Punish the shooter and anybody that helped plan or knew of it etc.....but do NOT change anything in the general public. 99% of gun owners do NOT go on shooting sprees.

the most important thing to me...it is your responsibility to take care of yourself

I think a more commonly armed citizenry who actually carries would go a long way to preventing rage killings. If everyone has a gun and carries it, then the threat posed by a crazed gunman is mitigated by John Q. Public's unwillingness to tolerate any more of that B.S.

Also, do a media blackout on workplace/school/murder-suicides. Only report when the good guys pop a punk.

Also, do a media blackout on workplace/school/murder-suicides. Only report when the good guys pop a punk.

I don't think a total blackout would be good, but not saying his/her name, blotting out their entire image for any tv coverage, and quit worrying about what kind of cereal they ate as a kid, would be a good start.

Im not putting the blame on anything other than the criminals. If I am hammering a board, and I smack my thumb, its not the hammers fault. I made the suggestion I did, because I think that would atleast placate the masses and liberals. My only point is that if unless some feasible suggestion is made, the public sentiment might sway against second amendment rights again, and then there will be some stupid ban put in place.

Unfortunately you can't "placate" liberals anymore than you can fix the crazies! They get a little, they ALWAYS want a little more, doesn't matter what it is. They aren't happy till they control everything and have it all there way. They are the enemy and need to be eyed with no less than the most suspicious eye!

I have said it before and I will say it again arm everyone.
Tuff S*** we are gonna have to go wild wild west here.
Its a forced respect, and it works.
But there will always be people who snap your not gonna stop that, and as we go on lm sure there will be more.
Even if they didnt have guns, it would be bombs made from household products, or poison or molotov cocktails to anything they can get thear hands on.
No laws are gonna stop that.
At that moment do you really think they care what the law is?
Hell they are hopeing the LEO's kill them so they dont have to.
They are mad as hell at the world and want somebody to pay.
Sadly it may be us.
But atleast we would have a fighting chance if properly trained and armed.

Back
Top Bottom