• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do you think happened with this gun?

I've seen that pic before....it was a double charged hand load that touched off the adjoins rounds as I recall :noidea:

Yeah your right I saw it too a while back.. There were a few more pics but I believe it was over sea ammo for a good deal that set off the other rounds next to it..! What a good deal. Lol saved a few dollars though.

Yeah your right I saw it too a while back.. There were a few more pics but I believe it was over sea ammo for a good deal that set off the other rounds next to it..! What a good deal. Lol saved a few dollars though.

I got the same email a year or two back. It was blamed on imported ammo.

Had one do this to my brother, well actualy his wife. He always bought reloads. On this go round we were shooting in the yard, having a good time. The pistol was a .38 , I dont remember the make. He reloaded and one of the bullets he had to kinda force in the cylinder....RED FLAG....he shot a few rounds and told his wife to take a couple shots. Her shot was BOOOOOM gun flew out of her hand and she turned around mad as hell but unhurt. The pistol looked like this one. Blew it apart, I have no idea how she wasnt injured!

Revolvers can blow up rather impressively without much damage to the shooter because when a revolver cylinder gives way, the bits tend to go radially away from the source of detonation and the recoil shield tends to block fragments to the rear. So it all goes up and to the sides. Obviously, that doesn't work perfectly in all cases.

Pistols tend to throw more fragments into the shooters face as the detonation occurs relatively higher than in a revolver and the detonation site is the 'center' from which bits go (again) radially from the center of the blast.

Wear safety glasses. Even if they're not cool. (Of course, for those who feel safety glasses aren't cool, perhaps an eye patch might be?)

That particular revolver - and yes, that photo has made the rounds with a number of explanations - blew up from the chamber. That suggests (doesn't guarantee) the barrel was not plugged and the detonation was a propellent issue: Wrong powder, double charge, 'magic additive' or some such. There is an outside chance the cylinder was flawed in some way, but that really isn't very likely.

One reason I prefer my own reloads. If something goes wrong, I know to see regarding the matter.

Back
Top Bottom