• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What do you think is in the middle of a black hole?

You can fit a lot of matter into a small space if you get rid of that annoying electromagnetic force. Particles are exceedingly tiny. Mere points of energy spinning very fast. Combine this with spacetime distortions and effectively "infinite density" is very plausible.

The supermassive blackholes at the centers of galaxies probably fit this description. They have BILLIONS of times more mass than the Sun stuffed down into only a few miles of space (from our perspective). Effectively they are small patches of the Universe as it was pre-big bang. Then you have an entire range of them from those huge monsters, to just "plain" blackholes that barely keep themselves scrunched down, to white dwarf's and neutron stars.

Last edited:
There is a theory (though I may have heard/understood it incorectly) that the universe as we know it got its beginning from an exploding black hole. That at one time the universe burnt itself out expanding and collapsed back into itself untill everything was cruahed back into the basic elements and exploded back out causing the big bang.

I think its a cool theory, and if true imagine how old the universe is and how many times before it may have been created and destroyed only to be created again
Exactly, it's an ongoing cycle that will never end.

sure you are, just do a thought experiment, my brain cannot simply comprehend an infinitely dense object that would eventually evaporate into the vacuum of space.

Evaporation via Hawking radiation is an unproven hypothesis. It was pretty much put forward by him because he is an advocate of the Entropy-Death Hypothesis, that eventually the Universe will smear out and eventually become cold and just fade away. He needed a way that all that mass and energy trapped within BHs could conveniently go away.

media_cache_ec0.pinimg.com_736x_48_ed_b0_48edb0c713229a7e857750c702074238.jpg

Back
Top Bottom