What have you been reading?

Beginning "A War Like No Other: How the Athenians & Spartans Fought the Peloponnesian War" looks to be more history than story but looks interesting. As so many of the books that I read it came through the wife's thrift store and she tossed it in the pile for me. Will see

Recently finished A Kings Randsom.
Awesome book about the last 7 years
of King Richard the Lionheart.

About halfway through reading the Iliad.

Just finished Manse by Wilton Earle

It was OK, a book based on the life and local folk storys about Manson Jolly a Civil Wars cavalry scout that returns home to Anderson SC after the war. In the middle of "reconstruction", federal occupation, the rise of the KKK and a little bit of a love story Manse ends up becoming an outlaw and a killer of Federal troops stationed in Anderson. Depends on what legend you read he killed somewhere between 12 and 25+ Federal troops in the course of around a year.

Aside from the action and something of a view of what the South went through after the war some of the best parts were details about his living off the land in the area between Anderson and Seneca (all within half an hour of my house so I know the area) after he began his killing and living on the run.

The book doesnt glorify (or condemn) what Manse or the Klan did in those days but states it all rather matter of factly. You can be the judge of what (if any) of it was justified.

I dont typically give warnings, as were all adults here, but if you are offended by "racial slurs" this book is chock full of em. I'm sure the dialogue is fairly close to what was actually said at, say, a Klan meeting in 1866.

Over all it was a quick and easy read, something I look for in my yearly "deer stand" book. Something good enough to pass the time but not so involved that I forget to raise my eyes and scan the woods after every paragraph (or when I hear a noise). The fact that I'm already done with it shows it was a fast read.

Over all it was a quick and easy read, something I look for in my yearly "deer stand" book. Something good enough to pass the time but not so involved that I forget to raise my eyes and scan the woods after every paragraph (or when I hear a noise). The fact that I'm already done with it shows it was a fast read.

That's my biggest problem. Once I start reading everything else fades into the backround

Back
Top Bottom