• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What have you been reading?

How are they? Been wanting to start them for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet
Decent. The plot stays interesting and mostly plausible, but sometimes I roll my eyes at how excited some of the main characters get every time they get to go play mall ninja.

I will say this...

If you're not a fan of the constitutional, small government line of thinking you may not like it.

Last edited:
Decent. The plot stays interesting and mostly plausible, but sometimes I roll my eyes at how excited some of the main characters get every time they get to go play mall ninja.

I will say this...

If you're not a fan of the constitutional, small government line of thinking you may not like it.

I hear ya. I read alot of Brad Thor and Vince Flynn ... and a little Clancy too. I feel like 90% of the time there pretty on point. Brad Thor has improved ten fold as each book goes along. But I know what you mean sometimes thrillers can be a little too "Jack Bauer".

Recently finished Glen Becks Overton Window. I'd give it 3.5 stars, kept me reading and I liked it well enough to pick up the second book, The Eye of Moloch.

The story (without spoilers) is based on the idea of One Worlders shaping public opinion to advance there agenda. As typical Beck does a good job of taking complex social/political subjects and clearly explaining it, but sometimes it seems that he over simplifies to the point that it seems he's talking under you, it also seems that the story suffers at the expense of explaining these ideas.

The characters are fairly well fleshed out but also as usual he doesn't do an overtly good job of building his characters. Once again it seems that his strong point is breaking down political ideas.

The story is pretty good and it did keep me turning the pages.

As stated above 3.5 starts, an OK read and any weakness in the story is overcome by the fact that it is a quick read. All in all I would recommend it. If for no other reason I think it is a useful book for explaining the concept of the Overton Window.

So what have you been reading?
Glock.

Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon series. Just finished the most recent. Executive summary: A boy in 9th-10th century UK is kidnapped/adopted by Danes who are raiding throughout what is now England, Scotland, etc. He grows up to become a pipe-hitter and fights everyone. Great historical fiction.

I'm about to read Starship Troopers again (not sure how many times). Starship Troopers is an awesome book as opposed to the movie which sucks. I'd say it's cool fiction mixed with warfare and civics lessons. I put it up there or maybe ahead of Gates of Fire.

I've read a few of the Brad Thor books but the latest one I'm reading now is letting me down, I can't get into The Widow's Strike. Dalton Fury books are fairly similar and are worth checking out.

I'm about to start "The Upside of Irrationality" next along with a couple of other non-fiction.

Back
Top Bottom