• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WHAT IS YOUR COMPETITION RIFLE SET UP? ( HIGH POWER MATCHES)

M1A, NM or SM. At Tim Nobles' M1A match last Apr I shot a 470 something with a NM and totally illegal Palma Int'l sights installed. This year I shot a SM and scored 485 out of 500. The SM does not seem as consistent as the NM in grouping but I haven't even hit the 400 round mark on the SM so I do not consider it "settled in." It's also not feeding correctly as there are copper deposits on the feed ramps at the chamber mouth. Haven't diagnosed that yet so haven't tried to correct it. I like the heft of the rifle, find it balanced for me (6'2") and generally prefer it over the ARs so predominate on the line. I am going to shoot the Confederate Nationals with the SM in two weeks so we'll see how I fare.

Oh, I'm using Ron brown leather M1907 pattern slings with the rifles and GI Vietnam era mags. 42.3 grains of 4064 with 175 gr SMKs and LC LR brass, Wolf NATO primers (until I run out) then CCI #34s.

I don't think anyone is checking sights at RGBC. LOL. Good Shooting with the NM.

On a side note. i need some trigger time with my M1. need to get ready for rifleman's weekend

I don't think anyone is checking sights at RGBC. LOL. Good Shooting with the NM.

Tim was a good sport for allowing me to shoot with these....they are unmistakable and nearly unique now as I doubt he's (Mo Defina) made these mounts in many years. The sight itself is an Redfield International Palma.

[Broken External Image]:

The front sight is equally illegal, LOL:

[Broken External Image]:

These have since been replaced with the OEM NM sights that came on the rifle when I purchased it new.

Having a tough time deciding which route to go these days. Do I want to get a 20" Colt Match A2 or M1a rifle for competition. As you can use either for lots of applications. I am good on Garands! Have that covered. My other option would be to get a .308 tube for a M1 and match prep it! That would cover it all. May not ever win but it's cool.

Back
Top Bottom