• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What kills kudzu?

I've had great success killing off a wide variety of undergrowth/foliage with a product called "Prosecutor" from SiteOne Landscape Company. I mix 5 oz. to the gallon, and it killed quickly and effectively. I now use it to maintain areas/fence rows with a 3-4 oz per gallon mixture. It's not cheap, but it goes a long way and has served me well.

an extremely cold winter can kill most surface plants and then you have to use old disel fuel or expensive commercial weedkillers for the rest

general winter didn't strike hard enough this year so just keep pointing the kudzu to ball up in a mountain

About 15 or 20 years ago I remember my uncle doing a controlled burn on about 2 acres of kudzu then taking a bulldozer and scraping and turning the ash and dirt. Ain't seen none since.

what's the chance of combining it and making hay with it?
will cows eat it?
Cows, horses, etc. most any grazing animal will eat it. It is a great animal feed, very high in protein and will fatten them up pretty quickly. It is difficult to bale like hay due to the vines. It wraps around the blade shaft of a bush hog and will lock one down in short order. Same thing with a hay baling machine. I saw it get wrapped around the driveshaft of a Ga Power bucket truck and stop it in its tracks. They had to get an axe to chop it from around the drive shaft.

Any mention of roundup/glysophosphate is a waste of time and money. Go get yourself some 24D (Agent White) and a good surfectant from Tractor supply. Prior to spraying it take a weed backer and chop the leaves up good. Spray with the 24D and surfectant mixture and it will take care of it in no time. You'll want to make sure that it can be on there for about 16 hours or so without getting wet/rained on. Check your weather.

Kudzu is easier than English Ivy. The above method is tried and true. Don't listen to anyone telling you to use diesel or ANYTHING with salt. Nothing will ever grow well if you salt the earth. That is why the Romans salted Carthage after sacking their city....so nothing could grow there again.

Back
Top Bottom