• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What kind of snake is this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard screams yesterday. Went to see what the problem was and there was a small 2 foot snake on the porch hiding behind the charcoal bucket. Without hesitation I grabbed his head and carried him to safety from the screaming woman. lol
He was a common rat snake with a big fat bulge in his belly. This means he had just eaten a mouse.

I've never understood the fear of snakes. But after reading these responses and people who swear that the OPs snake is a copperhead, I see that not everyone can identify snakes as fast as I can.......if they can at all.

Just for future reference. THIS is a copperhead.
i412.photobucket.com_albums_pp209_maxt384_copperhead_big.jpg

i279.photobucket.com_albums_kk159_snakehuntingchic_IMG_1820.jpg

I heard screams yesterday. Went to see what the problem was and there was a small 2 foot snake on the porch hiding behind the charcoal bucket. Without hesitation I grabbed his head and carried him to safety from the screaming woman. lol
He was a common rat snake with a big fat bulge in his belly. This means he had just eaten a mouse.

I've never understood the fear of snakes. But after reading these responses and people who swear that the OPs snake is a copperhead, I see that not everyone can identify snakes as fast as I can.......if they can at all.

Just for future reference. THIS is a copperhead.
i412.photobucket.com_albums_pp209_maxt384_copperhead_big.jpg

i279.photobucket.com_albums_kk159_snakehuntingchic_IMG_1820.jpg

Yea, as resident snake nut I get calls all the time to pickup "pythons" "rattlers" "copperheads" and "Water Moccasin/cottomouths"

Last year the python was a rat snake, the rattler was a king snake, copperhead a brown snake and cottonmouth a northern watersnake.

The copperheads are bad this year - be aware of what they look like and leave them be - more folks get bit trying to kill them than anything else. They are incredible looking - once you see them you will know.

As an aside - I keep many snakes and breed ball pythons which I have said on here before. Here is my daughter being terrified ;

533050_3750878606414_1109839033_4099133_1353958658_n.jpg

Yea, as resident snake nut I get calls all the time to pickup "pythons" "rattlers" "copperheads" and "Water Moccasin/cottomouths"

Last year the python was a rat snake, the rattler was a king snake, copperhead a brown snake and cottonmouth a northern watersnake.

The copperheads are bad this year - be aware of what they look like and leave them be - more folks get bit trying to kill them than anything else. They are incredible looking - once you see them you will know.

As an aside - I keep many snakes and breed ball pythons which I have said on here before. Here is my daughter being terrified ;

Nice. :thumb:

Nice Redtail.

Years ago I was co owner of a reptile wholesale business.

I was the S in C&S Reptiles out of Stone Mountain.

We did most of our business with Strictly Reptiles out of Hollywood Florida before the owner got into legal trouble. We usually had 300 or so snakes in stock and moved several hundred a month all over the country.

We bred albino columbian red tails as well as normal red tails, Suranams, Bulls, Kings, Balls, and Retics. I was friends with Ralph Davis up in Maryland and actually spent some time at his facility in late 2000.

We got involved in Hots near the end and truthfully I enjoyed the heck out of them. Our prized specimen was a Gaboon Viper named Carlos. Sadly, a malfunction caused by a space heater resulted in the lost of 40 grand in animals, and I just never had the heart to get back into the game. My brother in law (the C) took the rest of our stock when he and my sister divorced.

We spent many a nights in New Mexico catching rattlesnakes, and in Georgia hunting down Copper heads and Moccasins.

With all my experience with snakes, to this day the only breed that strikes fear into my heart is Amazon Tree Boas. Those little boogers are meaner than any hot we ever dealt with. We probably sold 2 thousand of the little bastards, and I'm sure I still have scars from their bites.

Nice Redtail.

Years ago I was co owner of a reptile wholesale business.

I was the S in C&S Reptiles out of Stone Mountain.

We did most of our business with Strictly Reptiles out of Hollywood Florida before the owner got into legal trouble. We usually had 300 or so snakes in stock and moved several hundred a month all over the country.

We bred albino columbian red tails as well as normal red tails, Suranams, Bulls, Kings, Balls, and Retics. I was friends with Ralph Davis up in Maryland and actually spent some time at his facility in late 2000.

We got involved in Hots near the end and truthfully I enjoyed the heck out of them. Our prized specimen was a Gaboon Viper named Carlos. Sadly, a malfunction caused by a space heater resulted in the lost of 40 grand in animals, and I just never had the heart to get back into the game. My brother in law (the C) took the rest of our stock when he and my sister divorced.

We spent many a nights in New Mexico catching rattlesnakes, and in Georgia hunting down Copper heads and Moccasins.

With all my experience with snakes, to this day the only breed that strikes fear into my heart is Amazon Tree Boas. Those little boogers are meaner than any hot we ever dealt with. We probably sold 2 thousand of the little bastards, and I'm sure I still have scars from their bites.

The mambas scared me. They were so dang fast. They would turn around and be up their body length in a blink of the eye.

The mambas scared me. They were so dang fast. They would turn around and be up their body length in a blink of the eye.

Yeah, if I lived in a place that actually had dangerous snakes I could see having an honest fear of them.

In North America though, we don't really have anything to get worked up over.

No, I am not saying that Rattlesnakes, Cotton Mouths, Copper heads, etc. are not dangerous, but compared to the species that live in places like Australia, Africa, etc. we really have it good.

This thread is like a whirlwind of ignorance...

What other laws do you ignore? CCW? DWI? Poaching? Since they seem to be a suggestion I'm just curious?

I break plenty of laws! Whats it to you?

Speed everyday on every road i travel , sometimes 15-20 +
Don't wear my seat belt
Have carried without my license, if i didn't have a ccw i would carry anyway

So what if i'm ignorant about snakes, don't worry about it. . . you worry about what you do and i'll worry about what i do. If You don't like the content in this thread . . . . get the **** out of it!!

It ain't like it's a damn dog or person, i don't like em' , i kill them. . . .you like them, you play with em' who ****ing cares

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom