• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What kind of snake is this

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one above in the first post is an eastern hognose, sometimes called a spreading adder. The one in the pic is a gray, but they also are found in and orange/red variety. One of my middle school teachers had an orange one, named "Lester". These snakes are cool. When threatened, they flatten their necks to look like a cobra, hence "spreading adder". If the cobra act doesn't scare away whatever is threatening it, he will roll over on his back, puke, and play dead. If you turn the snake over, on his stomach, he'll flip back, onto his back again. They are really neat.

The one above in the first post is an eastern hognose, sometimes called a spreading adder. The one in the pic is a gray, but they also are found in and orange/red variety. One of my middle school teachers had an orange one, named "Lester". These snakes are cool. When threatened, they flatten their necks to look like a cobra, hence "spreading adder". If the cobra act doesn't scare away whatever is threatening it, he will roll over on his back, puke, and play dead. If you turn the snake over, on his stomach, he'll flip back, onto his back again. They are really neat.

Oh, this SOB rolled over and puked alright!!

10lb sledgehammer forced it right up!!

I had a couple of pet timber rattlers when I was a kid. Snakes don't bother me to much. Now spiders are another story.

Color & checkerboard pattern looks right for an Eastern Garter snake, but there's not that distinctive stripe down the back. I discovered a small version (15") of this in my driveway last month. Moved him off into our pine isle, since he obviously didn't appear venomous.

When I about 10 years old back in 53 I came across a spreading adder in some tall broomsage. He was doing his cobra thing at me. I shot him with my .177 cal pellet rifle. Snakes don't bother me if I can see him since I stepped on a rattlers head getting out of a boat when I was around 6. I had to put my other foot on him til my father got out of the boat and kill him. He had to hurry, I was so lite I could feel him backing out from under my feet.

This thread is like a whirlwind of ignorance...

What other laws do you ignore? CCW? DWI? Poaching? Since they seem to be a suggestion I'm just curious?

On a side note pretty sure its a garter - not all have stripes. I have never see a hognose with that pattern - would love to see one. What is the hognose's biggest defense weapon??? Playing dead. Yep - your a badass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom