• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What scales (balance) are y’all using?

Plumminfool

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Antique
373   0
Reaction score
I’ve had a couple different cheaper balances like one from Hornady, Frankford Arsenal, etc. Im looking for suggestions for a more precision balance. Any recommendations? I’m looking at the A&D EJ 123.

It's not like the older days. Scales are much more sensitive and accurate to a higher degree and don't cost as much as older ones do. I have a set of digital scales that was taken out of a laboratory. My father was a chemist and used very expensive scales. One of them mysteriously appeared in his shop. Well it mysteriously ended up in my reloading stuff.😎 I constantly check it with a set of brass weights that are used to calibrate scales. They are stored in a wooden felt lined box and have a large set of tweezers ( for the lack of a better word ) to grab them and keep oils and moisture off the weights being careful to get the most accurate reading to calibrate. My little set of Hornady scales are right on the dot. Now they probably don't get as much use was some but for what I use them for they are fine. If we were compounding our own gun powder now that would be a different story. However since the power is all ready mixed and formed a reading on those scales is just fine for now. I check my little set of Hornady scales every other time and they are fine. How long that will last remains to be seen.
What seems to be the problem? Are you competitive long range shooting and feel you're not getting the right measurements of powder? Or are you using a automatic throw job? Just curious.

IMG_0432.jpeg

RCBS 505 calibrated on a perfectly level surface. 3 years ago I bought a Cheap Hornady flip open digital scale for cross verification purposes. I'm glad that they confirm one another down to the 10th of a grain, but the digital will float 2 to 3 tenths and requires constant calibration. The RCBS 505 should come with a small bag of lead pellets so you too can calibrate yours. You should also have a certified calibration weights, certified meaning they were made specifically to check small scales. From there add an RCBS, Lyman or Redding powder Measure. The consistency on the powder through weight is directly related to the various types of powder and user operation consistency. I will never be without my RCBS 505 and I have 34 years of safe trusted load data based on this one scale.

Back
Top Bottom