• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What scales (balance) are y’all using?

Right now, I’m using a small flip open Hornady digital scale. I have a couple different brass weights for calibration purposes and it reads true. The problem I’m having is that it doesn’t measure hundredths. Maybe I’m chasing my tail, but my velocities are too far spread out for my liking. Yesterday, for example, I loaded a ladder of 308 using the same lot of federal brass, same lot of cci primers, Sierra 175 grain SMK and 4064 powder. I started with 42 grains and got between 2505 and 2592 fps. 42.5 grains was 2517 to 2596 fps. I’m thinking if I can dial my powder in to the hundreds, it should tighten up my fps and my groups as a result. I’m no ultra long distance shooter but I do enjoy developing perfect loads at low quantities.

F0F9907B-8EC9-40EA-AFF8-D6546375AEFF.jpeg

another vote for the 505s. Still using the set I bought in 90. I have a nice set of mettler lab quality digital ones that get used from time to time(when not in the brewing area)

Right now, I’m using a small flip open Hornady digital scale. I have a couple different brass weights for calibration purposes and it reads true. The problem I’m having is that it doesn’t measure hundredths. Maybe I’m chasing my tail, but my velocities are too far spread out for my liking. Yesterday, for example, I loaded a ladder of 308 using the same lot of federal brass, same lot of cci primers, Sierra 175 grain SMK and 4064 powder. I started with 42 grains and got between 2505 and 2592 fps. 42.5 grains was 2517 to 2596 fps. I’m thinking if I can dial my powder in to the hundreds, it should tighten up my fps and my groups as a result. I’m no ultra long distance shooter but I do enjoy developing perfect loads at low quantities.
Get some lapua brass and use varget or n140 for .308 4064 is a good powder but there are better for .308

The RCBS 505 is accurate to .1 grains. Am I chasing my tail if I want to make my loads accurate to .02 grains? I've tried new brass vs once fired, weighing brass, weighing projectiles, different powders, all with the same inconsistencies when it comes to FPS. I'd love to get some single digit standard deviations.

I typically use Viht N150 for 308 with excellent results but the variations are still there. Mind you, not as bad but still there.
Get a good scale to start there are some great recommendations on here. After you get one get it set up and zeroed/calibrated and leave it alone in one place. Making a shield around it to reduce draft in the room three sides of a cardboard box works. After use cover it up dust isn’t your friend on a a finely tuned scale. The only reason I suggested the other powders and brass are they are more common loads with a lot more data out there for them. The brass is just a no brainer if you want consistent loads you need consistent brass and yes you can make good brass out of factory once fired brass but there is no sense in all that work when lapua is available at a reasonable price. Use your time and effort loading and shooting not working sub par brass.

Back
Top Bottom