• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What shotgun for Dove?

A 410 for any beginner will be very frustrating. It is a very difficult weapon to master. You would be just as successful throwing the 410 shells at the birds.

Get a Rem 20 ga 1100 light with a short stock. Felt recoil with a shotgun is all in the shouldering of the gun. I would shoot 300 12ga targets a day in skeet practice and never had a bruised or sore shoulder.

You have to lean into the shot, and shoulder firmly, the recoil should be a shove, not a hit or slap. Take an aggressive stance, attack the target, be it clays or live birds.

I have a 12GA Beretta A400 Xtreme 28".
My kid has 20GA Charles Daly pump action 22".
The last three seasons he has always reached his limit well before me ;).

My opinions about wing shooting are basically worthless because I'm a terrible wing shot. LOL!

With that said, I'm currently trying to learn to shoot a CZ Woodcock Deluxe 12ga with 26 inch barrels. It's a really pretty gun with nice wood and a case hardened receiver. A little heavy, but very handy and the weight makes for a smooth swing and faster follow up shots. I add a slip on pad to get a longer length of pull. I'm 6'4".

I started the day with IC and Mod chokes on Saturday, but the birds were keeping their distance so I shifted to Mod and Full. Of course the next birds I had come in range flew right over me at about 15 yards. I might as well have been shooting a rifle at them. :doh:

I switched back, but mostly shot my Mod tube for the rest of the day. An Imp Mod as a second tube would have been perfect, but I didn't have one.

Had a blast and did better then I ever have before on dove.

A 410 for any beginner will be very frustrating. It is a very difficult weapon to master. You would be just as successful throwing the 410 shells at the birds.

Get a Rem 20 ga 1100 light with a short stock. Felt recoil with a shotgun is all in the shouldering of the gun. I would shoot 300 12ga targets a day in skeet practice and never had a bruised or sore shoulder.

You have to lean into the shot, and shoulder firmly, the recoil should be a shove, not a hit or slap. Take an aggressive stance, attack the target, be it clays or live birds.
My Dad started me with a 410 dbl bbl (full x full) at 10 years old. Shot it for 3 more years until I could bring home about 75% as many doves as he did. Tough learning experience.

He said years later that he did me a disservice by starting me with a 410. Live and learn. At the time (1960s), there was no such thing as a "youth model" shotgun. And in a rural area, no one with the expertise to shorten an adult stock.

When he handed me a 16 ga at age 14, I was hitting as well as most adults, even with the overly long LOP and weight. I finally grew into it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

If my doctor will ok me to shoot birds next week. I will be using a Remington Model 11 20 ga that belonged to my dad. It will be the first time my son and I have gone together so taking Pops gun will add to the day.
I wasn't sure how functional the 11 was. I don't remember my dad ever shooting dove. I shot his model 1100 but is was eventually misplaced as most of the nicer guns he had. I went today and shot the 11 and it was great. It will accompany me to the field Saturday.

Shoulder your shotgun and your groin should be ok. Been through that twice. Get him a 20ga and don’t look back. You’ll waste time with a .410 and lotsa money. Enjoy it

My Dad started me with a 410 dbl bbl (full x full) at 10 years old. Shot it for 3 more years until I could bring home about 75% as many doves as he did. Tough learning experience.

He said years later that he did me a disservice by starting me with a 410. Live and learn. At the time (1960s), there was no such thing as a "youth model" shotgun. And in a rural area, no one with the expertise to shorten an adult stock.

When he handed me a 16 ga at age 14, I was hitting as well as most adults, even with the overly long LOP and weight. I finally grew into it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last year I found the model 11 did a great job in 20 gauge. I have my grandfathers model 11 in 12 gauge being rebuilt. When we went my shot a 410 single shot but came up without a bird.

Today I had planned to shoot the 20 and my son to shoot a 410 pump that belonged to my dad. The 410's length of pull was a little much and it was heavy. I remembered this conversation from last year. I text a friend who was heading to the shoot and he offered to bring a youth model 20 gauge pump. The gun was a savage 320 and it was lighter than the 410. My son shot his first dove and probably a 1/2 box of shells. I have to work on his confidence as he is slow to shoot and hesitates. Needless to say I am sunburned and he said he had a great time. Looks like I'm in the market for a 20 gauge youth shotgun

Update thread resurrection.
I am still missing dove with my dad's Model 11 20 gauge. I read in here that if you miss with 20 you will miss with a 12. I came here reading up thinking I should buy a 12 gauge after this Saturdays hunt. Of course Im always one to look for a hardware solution to a software problem
A few weeks after my last post my son bought himself a Savage youth 20ga. The gun is still doing what he needs it to do. We didnt do much on the dove field saturday but he had a great time shooting skeet after lunch and before the shoot.

Update thread resurrection.
I am still missing dove with my dad's Model 11 20 gauge. I read in here that if you miss with 20 you will miss with a 12. I came here reading up thinking I should buy a 12 gauge after this Saturdays hunt. Of course Im always one to look for a hardware solution to a software problem
A few weeks after my last post my son bought himself a Savage youth 20ga. The gun is still doing what he needs it to do. We didnt do much on the dove field saturday but he had a great time shooting skeet after lunch and before the shoot.
You know, those old Model 11s and Browning Auto 5s can take a little getting used to. The little hump on the back just reads differently than a curved receiver. I know on my Auto 5 - I have to just really pay attention to mounting the gun, but once I do (and get the lead right) it will flat out smash doves. (Granted, it is a 12 ga and a "modified" choke that shoots like a super-turkey-blaster-9000 - so you can shoot doves at SR-71 altitudes and absolutely hammer them...)

Back
Top Bottom