JSoko

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
I have a 14 foot Jon Bote
I want to move battery to the front
Trolling Motor has alligator clips/short wires
I have plenty of 12ga drop cords and 12ga romex, but someone told me to use stranded wire

what wire would be best to extend the length for a COB (cheap old bastard)?

I have a 14" Jon Bote
I have plenty of 12ga drop cords and 12ga romex, but someone told me to use stranded wire

The more fine copper strands of wire the better. Get a piece of 3 conductor 10 gauge wire(best) or 12 gauge SO cable from Home Depot.

after years of trugging a 75lb(well maybe a bit less) down to the to the boat....weighting it down...I decided to go another route....I found a small footprint/much lighter weight battery!! Lion...can carry it, and my cooler in one hand....I don't think the the wire type makes that much difference..

Buy a 12ft 8g set of quality jumper cables and water tight connectors. Cut and connect or hard wire directly to the motor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220301-075610_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220301-075610_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 17
I have a 14" Jon Bote

You'll want to use stranded and heavy enough to handle the max draw marked on the motor plus a little more to handle starting. As someone already said, a cheap set of jumper cables would work as long as they're heavy enough. The jacket on romex isn't going to last long on a boat and you'll end up shorting something out, you really need to use something rated for outdoor/marine or at least automotive installs.

Great data chart. I can not stress enough the importance of having a breaker. One day it could save your vessel. If your trolling motor is wired in and you have a short you can instantly trip the breaker. Otherwise the short can fry and melt the wires all the way back to the battery. Ask me how I know. All my accessories are protected by breaker or fuse!

Back
Top Bottom