Wheel weights/balancing question

rOmiLaYu

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
245   0
Reaction score
If you have a wheel that it isn't properly balanced, would you experience weirdness throughout the entire speed range or only at a certain speed? I'm trying to diagnose a problem....basically around 45-48mph the truck gets a let "bouncy" but then after that it smooths out and before that it is fine too. I'm wondering if the wheels just aren't balanced.

My truck does the same exact thing man.

Around 43-48 mph it is bouncy as hell. Any slower or faster and it rides completely smooth.

My truck does the same exact thing man.

Around 43-48 mph it is bouncy as hell. Any slower or faster and it rides completely smooth.
Is it lifted? I'm on what I believe to be a Rough Country 8" lift (the brand I am sure of, the height not so much) and 35x12.5x20 tires. Probably should have put that in the OP.

I knew you had to have a lifted truck from what you were describing.

Truck and Car.jpg

That could be a balancing issue even when it only happens at certain speeds. That would probably be my first check. Think of it like a ceiling fan. Sometimes low and high can be smooth, but medium will shake the house.

It could also be several other things too such as worn bushings, steering stabilizer, loose or incorrect size bolts on suspension components, unevenly worn tires due to misalignment, etc...

That could be a balancing issue even when it only happens at certain speeds. That would probably be my first check. Think of it like a ceiling fan. Sometimes low and high can be smooth, but medium will shake the house.
It's funny you mention that....the fan in our kitchen is exactly like that and that's what got me thinking it may just be out of balance.

It could also be several other things too such as worn bushings, steering stabilizer, loose or incorrect size bolts on suspension components, unevenly worn tires due to misalignment, etc...
Let's hope not. :frusty:

If you have a wheel that it isn't properly balanced, would you experience weirdness throughout the entire speed range or only at a certain speed? I'm trying to diagnose a problem....basically around 45-48mph the truck gets a let "bouncy" but then after that it smooths out and before that it is fine too. I'm wondering if the wheels just aren't balanced.

Very likely, and the lift exaggerates the effect. I have a Land Cruiser on 35's. I had some worn BFG AT's. I had steering shimmy from 40-50, so I drove 35 or 60. decelerating from 60, it' would shake until I got back around 35. I replaced the tires and had them well balanced and it's been gone. Now, when I start getting shimmy, I take it back and have them rebalanced. Big tires are more likely to be out of round and that'll cause it too, and in that case, balancing is only a bandaid that affects the harmonics for a time. The tires will never be good and balancing won't last long. You can hear this sometime when braking or rolling in the 15mph range with the windows down. The tires kind of sounds like waa-waa-waa-waa-waa-waa.

Very likely, and the lift exaggerates the effect. I have a Land Cruiser on 35's. I had some worn BFG AT's. I had steering shimmy from 40-50, so I drove 35 or 60. decelerating from 60, it' would shake until I got back around 35. I replaced the tires and had them well balanced and it's been gone. Now, when I start getting shimmy, I take it back and have them rebalanced. Big tires are more likely to be out of round and that'll cause it too, and in that case, balancing is only a bandaid that affects the harmonics for a time. The tires will never be good and balancing won't last long. You can hear this sometime when braking or rolling in the 15mph range with the windows down. The tires kind of sounds like waa-waa-waa-waa-waa-waa.
When you say "shimmy" I think left/right slop in the steering wheel. Is that what you mean? What I am experiencing is up/down. Steering is tight and true while this is going on.

Back
Top Bottom