Wheel weights/balancing question

That sounds more like out of round, like a flat spot. It keeps doing it even after the tires get warmed up? You can check for out of round by lifting each tire, setting up a block or something that is stationary and rotating the tire and look for areas that are closer or further away from the block as the tire passes it.

We experienced the same issue with our xterra a few years ago. Wheel balance didn't help us as our problem turned out to be an out of balance driveshaft.

I would still have your wheels balanced first.

Butler Tire advertises high-speed on-the-car wheel balancing.

I don't think it's cheap though and not sure they can do trucks.

From the responses, it's like a "Welcome to the world of lifted trucks!".

Things I've chased on mine:
driveshaft phase
Driveshaft balance (can just be a matter of pulling the yoke and rotating it 180 degrees to restore balance.both the yoke and the shaft may have balance weights)
replaced some worn bushings
found loose bolts (by loose I mean it was very tight, but not to spec. On one particular bolt, the torque spec was 250-275ft.lbs.)
out of balance tires
loose wheel bearings

This is all on a solid axle truck

On my IFS, upper and lower control arms bushings were shot, as well and inner and outer tie rod ends.

Had a similar problem, turned was shocks, put on new ones, on the 2500HD, rides like a dream.

This problem can encompass so many different things. Hope it is a very inexpensive fix for you...

That sounds more like out of round, like a flat spot. It keeps doing it even after the tires get warmed up? You can check for out of round by lifting each tire, setting up a block or something that is stationary and rotating the tire and look for areas that are closer or further away from the block as the tire passes it.
It does continue after the tires warm up, yes. I don't have anyway to take the wheels off at home, but thanks for the advice!

We experienced the same issue with our xterra a few years ago. Wheel balance didn't help us as our problem turned out to be an out of balance driveshaft.

I would still have your wheels balanced first.
I had the thought about it being the driveshaft. My wife's old KIA had a driveshaft that was a little wonky but this feels different. It's hard to explain but the drivetrain issue felt like the wobble was at the rear wheels only, this feels uniform throughout the truck.

Back
Top Bottom