Wheel weights/balancing question

A little off topic but I had a wheel out of balance once. I never felt it when I was driving really, but the brakes would pulse and there was a slight shimmy when accelerating from a dead stop. I blew that tire out when I hit a curb and everything went away when I replaced the tire.

I had the thought about it being the driveshaft. My wife's old KIA had a driveshaft that was a little wonky but this feels different. It's hard to explain but the drivetrain issue felt like the wobble was at the rear wheels only, this feels uniform throughout the truck.

On the Xterra it would shake the whole vehicle so bad it was almost uncontrollable between 55 and 65 mph. It only had a little 4 banger so that 10 mph took too long to get through as well since "punching it" really didn't do anything.

Sadly we never got it fixed. I went to the dealership to price a new driveshaft and left with a new Murano for my wife instead. That was the end of the line for chitty chitty bang bang as we called it.

On the Xterra it would shake the whole vehicle so bad it was almost uncontrollable between 55 and 65 mph. It only had a little 4 banger so that 10 mph took too long to get through as well since "punching it" really didn't do anything.
Oh wow...yeah it was nothing like that on the KIA. It was more of a shudder that almost felt like the brakes were grabbing the calipers.....if the rear wheels had rotors or calipers, that is.

It does continue after the tires warm up, yes. I don't have anyway to take the wheels off at home, but thanks for the advice!
You don't have to remove them, just lift the tire off of the ground while on the truck and spin it.

Is this IFS or is it a solid axle? How long has the lift been on? How many miles on the tires?

You don't have to remove them, just lift the tire off of the ground while on the truck and spin it.
Yeah....can't do that either; well until I get a bigger jack. :pout:

Is this IFS or is it a solid axle? How long has the lift been on? How many miles on the tires?
Solid axle. Not sure about how long the lift has been on but it looks new...probably in the last year or so. The truck is only a 2011 so it could only be four or five years old at most. Tires are almost brand new. Still have hairs.

If you have a wheel that it isn't properly balanced, would you experience weirdness throughout the entire speed range or only at a certain speed? I'm trying to diagnose a problem....basically around 45-48mph the truck gets a let "bouncy" but then after that it smooths out and before that it is fine too. I'm wondering if the wheels just aren't balanced.

It does continue after the tires warm up, yes. I don't have anyway to take the wheels off at home, but thanks for the advice!

Yeah....can't do that either; well until I get a bigger jack. :pout:

Solid axle. Not sure about how long the lift has been on but it looks new...probably in the last year or so. The truck is only a 2011 so it could only be four or five years old at most. Tires are almost brand new. Still have hairs.

That's a little simpler to deal with bolts and bushings inspection. It's likely poly bushings so that wouldn't squish like rubber ones if over torqued. I'd spend some time under the front checking that all bolts and nuts are tight, that they're all there :dizzy:. I've seen things vibrate loose, especially with a bad ride. That check is free. You can get under the front end and have someone rock the truck back and forth from the drivers door and listen for suspension squeaks. Next, I'd have the tires balanced and tell them to check it at/around the speed that you're having issues. I'd also take it somewhere that deals with big tires. There is a lot more mass there than the average ricer tire. Ask about having the tire rotated on the wheel if they have issues getting one balanced. Sometimes it's a matter of stacking tolerances.

If you have a wheel that it isn't properly balanced, would you experience weirdness throughout the entire speed range or only at a certain speed? I'm trying to diagnose a problem....basically around 45-48mph the truck gets a let "bouncy" but then after that it smooths out and before that it is fine too. I'm wondering if the wheels just aren't balanced.
you would experience it at certain speeds..new tires???..the real key to a great balanced tire is having a good guy to do it instead of a lazy ass that just throws weights at it..if you have more than 2.25 oz weights or more..break down the tire and spin it 90deg..to help even out the heavy spot in the tire..most good tires have a dot mark in red for heavy and yellow spot to be placed at the valve stem hole.

When you say "shimmy" I think left/right slop in the steering wheel. Is that what you mean? What I am experiencing is up/down. Steering is tight and true while this is going on.
also too if you have a warped rotor or a sticking caliper this will do similar shimmy but usually under breaking at certain speeds

There is a product called Counteract balancing beads that balance your tires basically for the life of the tire. We use them in our shop and cost about the same as getting your tires balanced to start with.

Back
Top Bottom