When is Deadly Force justified during a riot?

In my mind, if there's already rioting- 911 is too busy to take any more calls. I stayed on hold five minutes once to report a city bus that was on fire at the maintenance department. On hold like didn't talk to a living soul for five minutes. I'd recommend getting the number for the local dispatch if you can.

Given the scenario and the crowds are now in my neighborhood and not in front of Best Buy, I'm thinking they're after people and not possessions- but that's what I'm thinking and not necessarily what the DA is thinking later down the line. If said crowds walk onto my porch and start beating down the door, then start recording- video is best, but audio if nothing else. It will have me trying to call 911 while shouting at the crowd something to the effect of "leave or get shot"... and of course talking to my family behind me telling them to get to the back door and leave if they absolutely have to. If the door breaks open, I'm firing a 12 gauge round into the ceiling or floor- if they still advance, everyone on my side of the threshold is in real trouble.

I'm not terribly concerned about a mob rushing my front door. Let's say that happened and I have to fire to defend myself, parts of the mob will disperse and probably go get other people who are armed and come back for some mob justice for the ones I shot. And they don't even have to be armed- set fire to the house and surround it to keep everyone inside. Of course I'm going to duel wield a pair of G17s and try to clear a path for my family to escape... Point being, the initial confrontation doesn't scare me nearly as much as a planned retaliation. Hopefully LEO can be contacted soon enough. I still wouldn't want to be in the house afterwards.

Bear, Seems like this situation, you would have a little bit of time to get prepared. A good 12g with a loaded up AR15/AK47 on a sling on the ready. The pistol grip 12g is loaded up with less lethal rubber buck shot. if the crowd starts to advance and verbal commands are ignored, I would start fearing the worst, at that point is where the less lethal 12g would come in to play. The crowd isnt going to know that less lethal rounds are loaded, pulling off 3-4 rounds at the crowd, the rubber balls connect & cause pain/confusion leading people to believe they have been shot, might be enough deterrent for the whole crowed to go the opposite direction. I would assume the crowd is now CRYSTAL CLEAR on the intent to use deadly force to defend life/property which is where the AR/AK would come into play.

-Carlo

In my mind, if there's already rioting- 911 is too busy to take any more calls. I stayed on hold five minutes once to report a city bus that was on fire at the maintenance department. On hold like didn't talk to a living soul for five minutes. I'd recommend getting the number for the local dispatch if you can.

Given the scenario and the crowds are now in my neighborhood and not in front of Best Buy, I'm thinking they're after people and not possessions- but that's what I'm thinking and not necessarily what the DA is thinking later down the line. If said crowds walk onto my porch and start beating down the door, then start recording- video is best, but audio if nothing else. It will have me trying to call 911 while shouting at the crowd something to the effect of "leave or get shot"... and of course talking to my family behind me telling them to get to the back door and leave if they absolutely have to. If the door breaks open, I'm firing a 12 gauge round into the ceiling or floor- if they still advance, everyone on my side of the threshold is in real trouble.

I'm not terribly concerned about a mob rushing my front door. Let's say that happened and I have to fire to defend myself, parts of the mob will disperse and probably go get other people who are armed and come back for some mob justice for the ones I shot. And they don't even have to be armed- set fire to the house and surround it to keep everyone inside. Of course I'm going to duel wield a pair of G17s and try to clear a path for my family to escape... Point being, the initial confrontation doesn't scare me nearly as much as a planned retaliation. Hopefully LEO can be contacted soon enough. I still wouldn't want to be in the house afterwards.

For the first bold part, why would you continue giving warnings and a warning shot after they've broken down your door? It's open season at that point.

For the second bold part, that's a good point that I haven't thought of.

For the first bold part, why would you continue giving warnings and a warning shot after they've broken down your door? It's open season at that point.

For the second bold part, that's a good point that I haven't thought of.

The first part was to give someone something to quote ;) And because if it were actually to happen and I have a video camera rolling, I'm going to take every opportunity to say "hey- I had no choice" At that point, there's no advantage to staying quiet- they will know I'm there.

The second part is a real problem for me... Being in a stationary, flammable, non-bullet proof box is just bad from every angle. Except that my family and I aren't on the street where the crowds are.

Better yet, we will grow genetically enhanced crawfish with gigantic claws and toss em in the creek.
I'm in for that!

crawfish-boil1.jpg

I have to ask. Are you protecting yourself from them or are you protecting them from you?

Yes - would be my guess.

It's going to be intresting to see what happens here in Metro Atlanta.

So far the Mayor and Police Chief haven't had much to say.

I was expecting some MLK non violent quotes and a little grand standing but apparently they think it is not going to go well and want to stay off the record as saying anything?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom