• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When you taught your kids to shoot....?

First check for eye dominance. If she doesn't have any vision issues then try iron sights first. My son has really bad vision problems so I had no choice but to start him off on a scope. he is just now transitioning to iron sights and is very challenging for him. He is also left eye dominant but right handed. Double trouble but he won't try shooting left handed. Just take your time and most importantly make it FUN!

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_11_22_sajupumu.jpg

Here's an image that helped my sons understand what the sight alignment and picture should look like. Kudos on you for teaching a young one to shoot.

Iron sights. My grandaughter learned on iron. I let her try my scoped 10/22 in practice awhile back and she said nah I'll stick with what I have.

I did not shoot with the scope till I was 20+. Shot iron-sighted Mak when I was 5, iron-sighted AK-74 when I was 7-10.
helped to develop trigger and sight discipline.

Both!

7-year old with Polish Tantal.

No pistol scopes...yet...

Attachments

• Range Day 009.jpg
    Range Day 009.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 16
I have an eight year old daughter that started with a bb gun until she got the safety stuff down, which didn't take long. I then moved her up to a cricket, shooting colibris in the backyard, then real ammo. I would definitely go irons first, and save the scope for later. I wouldn't punch paper just yet, just reactive targets that have a decent margin of error.

We just went to an appleseed together and she was out shooting quite a few older kids. Impressive, especially since she was hand-loading one round at a time in a cricket and everyone else had a semi-auto, on timed AQTs.

It's a joy passing this sort of knowledge to kids, especially when they have just as good a time as you. Teaching a kid to like and respect firearms is worth a hundred NRA lifetime memberships when it comes to preserving our rights in the future.

Back
Top Bottom