Where do you zero your rifle?

A bullet travels along an arc of trajectory... which causes it to rise above the line of sight.
I get it, I get it. The bullet does not travel along an arc, it 'rises' (somehow automagically defying Newtonian physics). It's called "bullet rise." I said I get it.

So, you are explaining arc of trajectory to a new shooter. They say something like, "So the bullet rises above the line of sight during it's flight path?" I assume you tell them that it does not?
I personally have never used that term. Rise. I say the bullet falls continuously to earth relative the axis of the bore. That creates an arc of trajectory. The arc crosses the line of sight at a "near zero" and a "far zero." It's really quite simple to an artilleryman.

But I realize I'm in Georgia so I'll hillbilly-ize my speech to correspond with most denizens'.

The Sun doesn't "rise" in the east, either.
It stays there and we rotate our horizon to it.

But it appears to rise, using our view of the Earth's horizon as the perspective by which to judge relative movement .

Similarly, a firearm with the sights significantly above its bore, when zeroed for both a close range zero and a much different long range zero, will have a point when the bullet impact appears to rise above your line of aim. Rise is a fine word to use, then.
As long as you, as an instructor / coach / mentor, explain to the newbies what it really means.

For a scoped AR, scoped varmint rifle, or high velocity deer rifle (.243, .25-06)
I like a 50 yard close zero and then a 225 or 250 yard long zero.

That kind of "improved battle sight zero" gives me a lot of "point blank range" where I'll still hit within the kill zone even if I forget to hold over or under as needed for pinpoint precision at many various distances.

Back
Top Bottom