• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which red dot for AK 47?

image.jpeg
I am mounting it with the m92 dust cover mod
Mounted a trs 25 to my m92, can't remember who makes the mount though. Comes with a template for drilling the mounting holes which made it a pretty simple project. Nice solid option for the m92. The hinged dust cover definately helps keep everything tighter.

Any low-profile red-dot will do. I have a cheap, $50 no-name on my CZ-2008 and it works like a champ.

I would avoid SPARCs though, and other 'tall' red dots, since you will never be able to get a good cheek-weld with them, unlike on the ARs they were designed for. Since 'cheek weld' is all you are allowed with a brace these days, I wouldn't give it up without a really good reason. It's the only 'extra' point of stabilization you have.

I would guess the mounting will cost you more than the red dot though. A good quality side-rail mount will set you back over $100 (something like an RS Regulate or MI). You can get the cheap eBay ones, but you probably won't be able to keep the dot zero'd with them after removing them for cleaning. I've never had a problem with either the RS or the MI ones locking back right to where they were.

A railed dust cover is possible too, but from the reviews I've read keeping zero is an issue with them as well. Just 2nd hand info on that though, YMMV.

IMG_1195.JPG

I have several mid-priced red-dots and scopes, some mounted, some not - a few of them in the photo. I went shooting yesterday with a few AKs and my Colt 6920. No optics. Even with my glasses, my 53 year old eyes had a boat load of trouble seeing the sights on the target at 20 yards and closer. Even with my pistol. So I plan to mount every optic I have and put some fluorescent paint on any handgun I own that doesnt have night sights. It sucks getting old. But at least my penis doesnt work very well either. ;)

Back
Top Bottom