• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who’s hunting with the 6.5 cm?

I'm going to do some hunting with his brother this year. He has the same mind set I do when it comes to deer hunting. I'm going to shoot a trophy. A monster trophy at that or I'm not even going to fool with it. Gutting the deer, dragging it back to the truck, taking it to the processor and all the other stuff that comes along with it. If it isn't something I can show off and I'm just not going to mess with it.

I posted those pictures Sir! And they were 6 mm Creedmoor. A smaller projectile and not nearly the case size as the Creedmoor. Those were shot by one of the four brothers I have known all my life here in Virginia and I talk about quite often on here. Their mother started babysitting me before two of the brothers were even born so I've actually known two of them my whole entire life. Todd is the brother that actually made those shots. I go out and shoot with him every couple weeks because he has an ideal range to shoot on. He keeps that range groomed like a golf course and has steel plates at 300 yards and at 100 yards. That same 6 mm Creedmoor he used I've seen him shoot walnuts one right after the other at 300 yards off the top of those plate racks.

Oh, my bad. I thought the post was about the 6.5, when I saw Creedmore I automatically thought 6.5, I didn’t even know there was a 6mm Creedmore. 😂

I posted those pictures Sir! And they were 6 mm Creedmoor. A smaller projectile and not nearly the case size as the Creedmoor. Those were shot by one of the four brothers I have known all my life here in Virginia and I talk about quite often on here. Their mother started babysitting me before two of the brothers were even born so I've actually known two of them my whole entire life. Todd is the brother that actually made those shots. I go out and shoot with him every couple weeks because he has an ideal range to shoot on. He keeps that range groomed like a golf course and has steel plates at 300 yards and at 100 yards. That same 6 mm Creedmoor he used I've seen him shoot walnuts one right after the other at 300 yards off the top of those plate racks.
I suppose the one laughing doesn't have the capability to construct such an accurate rifle or can't shoot one that is that accurate. That's sad!

Oh, my bad. I thought the post was about the 6.5, when I saw Creedmore I automatically thought 6.5, I didn’t even know there was a 6mm Creedmore. 😂
No problem bro. There is only 300 fps difference between the two. The 6.5 creed has almost a 40 gr. Weight bump. The 6mm Creed shoot a 108 gr. projectile right at 3000 fps.. That little rascal has a great BC because of it longer, thinner profile. If you're making shots like he does I guess caliber isn't as critical. I mean those head shots are pretty humane and definite. I can't see one running anywhere after that. You know! LOL

No problem bro. There is only 300 fps difference between the two. The 6.5 creed has almost a 40 gr. Weight bump. The 6mm Creed shoot a 108 gr. projectile right at 3000 fps.. That little rascal has a great BC because of it longer, thinner profile. If you're making shots like he does I guess caliber isn't as critical. I mean those head shots are pretty humane and definite. I can't see one running anywhere after that. You know! LOL

No doubt dude. The old dirt nap right in his tracks. An old friend of mine who’s since passed away called me up one day years ago wanting me to help him drag a real nice 8 pointer outta the woods across the street from his house. We walked off the yardage from the shot to the kill at about 180 yds, he whacked it with a Rem. Model 7 in .308 Win using a 168gr match grade bullet from what I remember. Dropped that sucker right where he stood, never jumped or ran just dropped that deer like a sack o’ taters. 😂 He was a Marine Corps door gunner in a medivac helicopter in Vietnam, damn sho knew how to hit his target. He got a double lung/heart shot on it, poor ol’ bambi didn’t have a chance.

No doubt dude. The old dirt nap right in his tracks. An old friend of mine who’s since passed away called me up one day years ago wanting me to help him drag a real nice 8 pointer outta the woods across the street from his house. We walked off the yardage from the shot to the kill at about 180 yds, he whacked it with a Rem. Model 7 in .308 Win using a 168gr match grade bullet from what I remember. Dropped that sucker right where he stood, never jumped or ran just dropped that deer like a sack o’ taters. 😂 He was a Marine Corps door gunner in a medivac helicopter in Vietnam, damn sho knew how to hit his target. He got a double lung/heart shot on it, poor ol’ bambi didn’t have a chance.
My dad was a marksman with the Air force. I saw him shoot a buck in full stride at 75 yards right in the blood pump. Some of the old military guys can shoot. That was off hand as well.

I’ve heard it called the 6.5 Crymore because of the lost deer. I don’t have one (a few buddies had them) but if I did- I’d only run a max load of Barnes through it.
There are those that will say they love it. There are those who will say the hate and can't kill a deer with it. The ones who can't down a deer with it are most likely guys that have either;

1. Been using a mega caliber gun forever and can't place a shot to save their soul and use pure stomping energy.
2. Don't put enough thought into proper cartridge / projectile selection.
3. Just not up to snuff on deer anatomy.
4. Just not accurate enough of a shooter for the distances they are trying to shoot.

There are people who take deer year after year after year with a .223/ 5.56 so you cant say it doesn't have enough juice. A 147gr. slug at 2700 fps is more than enough to take a deer. I think proper projectile choice is the main culprit. Hunters are getting pass through and not getting proper expansion early enough or at all. Probably because of the same characteristics they give it's good BC. I am just not buying into the theory it's just not a good deer cartridge.

In Canada I might be inclined to think maybe a little more bullet weight is needed with more kinetic energy for those big animals. Maybe and that's a big maybe. The 6.5 Creedmoor should lift those dog size deer in Georgia off there feet. No question! Not really but you get the drift. It's no slouch of a cartridge. I mean there are guys in Georgia using a H&H 375 mag. That's an African big and dangerous game cartridge. Hell you might as well drive a Abrams M1A1 Tank into the woods.

No issues here with 6.5 CM. It's what my girlfriend shoots and myself a couple of other people have all taken deer with that rifle with no issues. Only hunting rounds that have ever been shot out of that gun are 140gr soft points and they seem to do quite well. I hunt with a .308 usually, but if not for going suppressed this year I would have considered another rifle in 6.5. I just figured 308 would suppress better and ammo is cheaper.

That is a huge drawback for the 6.5 Creedmoor and one of the reasons why I chose the 308 when I bought the AR-10. I looked up and some boxes of ammo are selling for almost 73 bucks a box. That's just freaking insane man I don't care how good the cartridge is. I think it will do the job but if the meat is 9 bucks a pound by the time you get it home it defeats the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom