• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who’s hunting with the 6.5 cm?

My .308 is shooting groups of an average .662 with this cheap Walmart ammo. 40 bucks for 40 rounds.
IMG_20230925_200503118.jpg

Bullets matter more than headstamps! Shot placement is king. You want DRT, high shoulder and that’s where they’ll be laying. Don’t have a rifle so chambered, but am willing to bet most failures are due to poor shot placement (any round subject to this) or using target rounds for hunting (most likely) seeing as they are many really nice target rounds on the shelf for the Creedmoor, probably more than any other round. That’s what made it a popular cartridge to begin with. Not all projectiles are the same, use an appropriate one for the job.

No doubt dude. The old dirt nap right in his tracks. An old friend of mine who’s since passed away called me up one day years ago wanting me to help him drag a real nice 8 pointer outta the woods across the street from his house. We walked off the yardage from the shot to the kill at about 180 yds, he whacked it with a Rem. Model 7 in .308 Win using a 168gr match grade bullet from what I remember. Dropped that sucker right where he stood, never jumped or ran just dropped that deer like a sack o’ taters. 😂 He was a Marine Corps door gunner in a medivac helicopter in Vietnam, damn sho knew how to hit his target. He got a double lung/heart shot on it, poor ol’ bambi didn’t have a chance.
I've shot a lot of deer with a 308. They don't always drop in their tracks

I've shot a lot of deer with a 308. They don't always drop in their tracks
I am a high shoulder shooter. I wait for this shot if at possible. I like to break them down right now. I don’t track deer. It’s all about shot placement. An old man taught me this many years ago. Now I am old, and by golly it works!

Killing deer is easy. It's the finding them that people have trouble with. The most of the loads offered for the 6.5CM don't help as much as they could in that department. Couple that with the fact that most people don't practice much at all and you get wasted deer.

I guesstimate I killed about 40 deer with a .260 and soft 120gr deer bullets. (Figure several deer per year and it was my main rifle for about ten years. I don't keep records or anything, but we eat 4-6 per year and always have. They had to die somehow.) I don't see how the 6.5CM wouldn't do almost as well with similar loads.

Back
Top Bottom