• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who deer hunts with 45-70?

300 grain jacketed soft point rolled by federal in the blue box. My experience with the Leverevolution is that they are accurate but damaged a lot of meat on the several deer I shot with them. Almost like an energy bomb exploded in the deer’s cavity.

So the hornady leverevolution factory stuff won’t cycle my gun. They cycle fine in my other 1895.
The Remington factory ammo I have cycles fine in both guns but this trapper won’t cycle reliably with the hornady.
The “jam” is almost like the extractor is too tight but I’ve adjusted it and also taken the extractor off another 1895 I own and it does the same thing. Looks like the hornady’s are a no go for this one.

375h&h doesn’t “destroy all the meat” like some neck beards say. You literally may lose .3-.5lbs more of meat if anything lol. My god if your that worried about that amount of meat maybe you should be working a job rather than hunting.

So the hornady leverevolution factory stuff won’t cycle my gun. They cycle fine in my other 1895.
The Remington factory ammo I have cycles fine in both guns but this trapper won’t cycle reliably with the hornady.
The “jam” is almost like the extractor is too tight but I’ve adjusted it and also taken the extractor off another 1895 I own and it does the same thing. Looks like the hornady’s are a no go for this one.
Had the same issue with some Hornady brass that I loaded. Caused a hell of a jam and had to disassemble the rifle to get the round out. Was stuck on the extractor and wouldn't load or eject. Thought it was a fluke, nope happened a 2nd time. It's the brass.

375h&h doesn’t “destroy all the meat” like some neck beards say. You literally may lose .3-.5lbs more of meat if anything lol. My god if your that worried about that amount of meat maybe you should be working a job rather than hunting.
Head shots man! Just have to drag em out by the feet then.

Back
Top Bottom