• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why are AR15s better than AK47s?

All I can say is that the accuracy of the AKs I have dealt with has been miserable. I have owned and tried to like AKs on several occasions, as have many of my acquaintances. I have also used and fired many more. All with similar results. I have gotten rid of all of them because they are too restrictive in their accurate range. I have seen them fail just as often as ARs and under similarly harsh or good conditions.

I'm sure there are more accurate AK platforms than standard, but the same can be said of the AR platform and the accuracy and effective range increases accordingly.

Look, the AK is a fine weapon, but if I have to pick one rifle that I'm going to put my life on the line with under any conditions, it's the AR. Having the option of confidently killing an enemy at substantially greater range is just to much of an advantage to give up.
I guess my experience has been different. I have not seen an AK fail, even after illiterate conscripts put them back in the armory dirty. Did AKs you tried have regular sights, optics, red dots? I find that good sights make all the difference in the world.

What power is the scope? Put the same scope on an AK and then see how it does at 200+ yards. AK's shortfall is bad iron sights, not its caliber or basic design.
1.5 to 6. And no, it's not the scope. Scopes help the shooter, but do not increase the accuracy of the rifle. I have also fired sub MOA groups with this rifle using standard iron sights. In all of the AKs I've tested for accuracy (some with scopes) none have even come close to that level of accuracy.

Bottom line guys.

If I ever had to, I could effectively clear a room, fight CQB in an urban environment and then drop prone and have a reasonable expectation of taking out a target out to 600 yards without changing or modifying the weapon in my hand.

That's what I mean by superior capability.

And don't get me wrong... I like the AR, just prefer the AK... Have both.... If I need to use an AK/AR, bad guys are at my door oor rushing me.. close... In the house (I know the 7.62 is not the best HD round) and I want to be able to clear the area quickly... Not worried about 250+ yards away...

All I can say is that the accuracy of the AKs I have dealt with has been miserable. I have owned and tried to like AKs on several occasions, as have many of my acquaintances. I have also used and fired many more. All with similar results. I have gotten rid of all of them because they are too restrictive in their accurate range. I have seen them fail just as often as ARs and under similarly harsh or good conditions.

I'm sure there are more accurate AK platforms than standard, but the same can be said of the AR platform and the accuracy and effective range increases accordingly.

Look, the AK is a fine weapon, but if I have to pick one rifle that I'm going to put my life on the line with under any conditions, it's the AR. Having the option of confidently killing an enemy at substantially greater range is just to much of an advantage to give up.
This is why I don't choose either to keep in my vehicle. I do not know what sort of position ill be in. So I chose the PTR-91 with collapsible stock. I can hit the target close, far and with the collapsible stock I can swing it around indoors. Only downfall is the weight. While heavy the recoil is very manageable and has the power to get any job done.

I have noticed my milled AK-47 is a bit more accurate than my standard yugo.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I guess my experience has been different. I have not seen an AK fail, even after illiterate conscripts put them back in the armory dirty. Did AKs you tried have regular sights, optics, red dots? I find that good sights make all the difference in the world.
Good sights do make a huge difference in user capability, but not inherent accuracy of the rifle. I have used AKs with every type of sighting system you list. I have also tried for maximum accuracy with several. Very high quality optics and hand loaded experimental ammo. While doing everything possible to increase accuracy (other than modifying the weapon itself) the best consistent groups I have ever gotten from an AK is a little over 1.5 MOA and that was one particular weapon. I'm confidant that with the same level of effort I could drop group size on 95% of ARs to sub 0.5 MOA. With off the self ammo the AKs have never even come close to the same accuracy as the AR.

Back
Top Bottom