• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why did Patrick Willis retire???

mattp38

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
20   0
Reaction score
Was the toe injury worse than reported? I just don't see why someone so talented would walk away when he seems to have PLENTY of gas in the tank. Am I missing something?

It doesnt seem like players are lasting as long these days. Maybe they are just realizing what may happen to their brains and bodies if they role the dice too long? Get the money and get out. I hate it but I get it, and I would be tempted to do the same if I were some of these guys. I remember seeing an interview with Jerome Bettis when he was like a year out of the leaugue. He said he has to have help to get out of bed most days.

Was the toe injury worse than reported? I just don't see why someone so talented would walk away when he seems to have PLENTY of gas in the tank. Am I missing something?

If he has enough money or has something lined up, he is the smartest guy in the NFL. Walk away now and he will be healthy enough to enjoy the fruits of his labor. His position on the field does not come with longevity for sure.

Willis' career earnings were over $30 million; barring any wild mismanagement of the money, he should land on his (healed) feet. :)

Locker's four year rookie contract was north of $12 million, and I'm sure there were more than a few endorsement opportunities for him. I don't think he was a complete bust. He got pretty banged up pretty good: Torn shoulder muscle, Lisfranc foot fracture, and he ended last year on IR, but I can't quite recall what the injury was.

Willis' career earnings were over $30 million; barring any wild mismanagement of the money, he should land on his (healed) feet. :)

Locker's four year rookie contract was north of $12 million, and I'm sure there were more than a few endorsement opportunities for him. I don't think he was a complete bust. He got pretty banged up pretty good: Torn shoulder muscle, Lisfranc foot fracture, and he ended last year on IR, but I can't quite recall what the injury was.

He was at the very least some kind of a bust. Maybe not Jeff George bust, but some kind of a bust - still a millionaire though.

He seems like a smart enough guy to stretch the money out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom