• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why did this timing belt fail at only 60k miles?

Why didnt you throw a belt on it first?? You had nothing to lose.

I decided that it would be better to pull it apart and fix it correctly rather than have a bent valve break off completely and bounce around in the cylinder. I guess that's what I get for trying to do things the right way and not take shortcuts

Mitsubishi makes belts for Honda engines?

Slight cracking between a few ribs. Most cracking is on the backside of the belt.

Was slowing down using engine braking in 3rd gear coming up to a red light. Already tried restarting it several times before I realized the belt had broken.
Quit slowing down using engine braking. I know it's fun playing speed racer, but brake pads are cheaper than engine parts said the wise mechanic.

Quit slowing down using engine braking. I know it's fun playing speed racer, but brake pads are cheaper than engine parts said the wise mechanic.

I'm not worried about the brake pads as much as I am the rotors. I'd almost rather rebuild the entire engine again then put new rotors on that thing.

Also, what's the fun in driving a manual if you can't wind it out and enjoy the shifting?

Well crap did I just tear this down for nothing? Everything looks fine to me

View attachment 4859258

View attachment 4859259

Take the head to a machine shop and let them do their job. A friend's daughter blew the head gasket on her Saab. He decided the head was okay after a visual inspection, slapped a new head gasket on it and wasted a weekend. I know a blown head gasket is not the same as a timing belt. Just be sure to drink lots of bourbon when repairing the vehicle.

Not sure I would want your issue over mine…just did this less than 6 months ago. At the time I couldn’t locate factory OEM parts. Bought and installed what I thought was best aftermarket heater core and evap core. Seriously, less than 6 months and 4-5000 miles. Puking in the floor again. F’n sh*t parts.
View attachment 4855105

6CCC69F4-2269-4217-8DDC-6BEDA655566A.jpeg
I just did this one for my buddy, only took a few hours.

Ford heater core was only 52$ :cool:

Take the head to a machine shop and let them do their job. A friend's daughter blew the head gasket on her Saab. He decided the head was okay after a visual inspection, slapped a new head gasket on it and wasted a weekend. I know a blown head gasket is not the same as a timing belt. Just be sure to drink lots of bourbon when repairing the vehicle.
Get that head tested. What do all the valve stems and guides look like? Every nail doesn't look like it got hit by a hammer, but odds are that's how it got in the board.

Back
Top Bottom