• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is deer season so long?

Obviously there are a lot of benefits for a long season. It gives ppl ample time to make arrangements to get into the woods, and get kids involved in deer hunting.
The comments about the population I understand and agree with. Though I will say this. The limit was twelve, 10 of those antlerless deer. How many ppl do you know filled their tags? If hunters aren’t going to fill their tags then why would it hurt if the season was 2-3 weeks shorter.
Oh and in regards to 100bullets post, just to clarify a few points. 1: I am a bird hunter, waterfowl, woodcock, and doves. 2: I have never been a member of a hunting club. 3: I am a landowner, though it is a small tract.

It is about population control and quality of the experiance. With such a long season you don't have as many people in the woods at one time and you have more opertunity to choose days with good weather to go.

I have no issue with the length of the season. I only had a chance to get in the woods twice with my grandsons this past season. I hope to do better next season.

By the way, 13YO grandson got his first deer on opening weekend. It was a very nice 8 pointer.

It is about population control and quality of the experiance. With such a long season you don't have as many people in the woods at one time and you have more opertunity to choose days with good weather to go.
We’ve already established that ppl don’t fill their tags, so how do you encourage hunters to do so. I agree the population is to big. Farmers, including myself, have to accuire depredation permits every year.
Not to mention if you cut the season off say Dec 15. A lot of these 2.5-3.5 yr old bucks would slip through till next year.

No season on hogs or yotes. They are not in any danger of population collapse.

Why have any season at all for deer?

Oh, I know, state revenue generation.
Hogs can produce literally 100 times as many young in a year as deer can.

Yotes are a lot more secretive and difficult to kill than deer are and produce a lot more pups than a deer produces fawns. There are also a lot fewer people hunting them.

Back
Top Bottom