• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why???????

When we run short on powder and go to a big box store we always ask the person in the department would they take the powder lid off the powder not the seal just the cap and allow us to see it, or even better ask them to turn the bottle upside down to check to make sure the seal has not been tamper with. Just always cautious with these items in the field of reloading.

Bullets (loaded ammunition when we buy some we always check to make sure all the rounds are accounted for. Amazing how many times there have been a few missing in the middle of a box, especially if the box has been previously open.

If they gotta steal they certainly do not need to be shooting or hunting...

Back during the madness of King O, when men were men and ammo was scarce I had two experiences for this thread:

Stopped at a large family owned sporting goods store in South Carolina looking for reloading supplies. They had three small (100 count) boxes of small pistol primers in the shelf. I asked a young sales guy if those were the only primers they had and was told, a little flippantly, whatever’s on the shelf sir. So I told my son to grab two boxes and I’d carry the bullets. There was no powder for sale on the floor. My son asked why we didn’t take all three and I replied that we always left some for the next guy.
The young sales guy looks over and asked me to repeat myself or explain what I’d said. So I did: always leave something for the next guy, don’t take the last one unless it’s all that’s left.
He looks at me funny, smiles and says “hold on, don’t leave yet “. He walks into the back and hands me a full brick of 1000 primers. He then asked if we needed any powder since they were hoarding it in the back as well. Seems like folks were indeed pouring powder from one container into another of the same type. Especially the 8 pound jugs. You could get 2+ pounds more into an 8 pound jug if you tried.
We put the two loose boxes back and thanked him and bought the brick.

In regards to checking ammo, I have a picture somewhere of a box of brand new Remington.223 ammo that had a primer mis-installed. It was turned about 90 degrees and smashed in. Surprised there wasn’t an accident at the factory. When I contacted Remington their reply was along the lines of “well, there’s a shortage, we’re doing the best we can”.

So I do check ammo before I buy it. If I purchase commercial ammo anymore.

i used to open the boxes of bullets when i first started shooting. Didn't know what all the writing on the box meant. That's a thing of past now but i understand when guys do it.

Spent 5 years working in the hunting/gun department at BPS, you would be surprised at the number of ammo boxes that would be opened up and put back on the shelf, you would check the box and ONE round would be missing, WTH. Usually it was the odd or magnum rounds like .338, .375, .416, .460/480/500 S&W and others. Guess some body was making them a bullet board. Some times you would pick up a box and it felt real light, open it up, empty.Thieves will be thieves.

I open a carton of eggs to check for cracked eggs, and I open a box of ammo to make sure that there is a full count of the ammo advertised.

You don't have to swap out many rounds of a $40 a box load into a $20 box to be money ahead. Even if they looked, how many cashiers could tell the difference.

Not often but I've found the one or two of the wrong caliber in a box. Being as you can't return ammo, I'm careful checking it out.

Back during the madness of King O, when men were men and ammo was scarce I had two experiences for this thread:

Stopped at a large family owned sporting goods store in South Carolina looking for reloading supplies. They had three small (100 count) boxes of small pistol primers in the shelf. I asked a young sales guy if those were the only primers they had and was told, a little flippantly, whatever’s on the shelf sir. So I told my son to grab two boxes and I’d carry the bullets. There was no powder for sale on the floor. My son asked why we didn’t take all three and I replied that we always left some for the next guy.
The young sales guy looks over and asked me to repeat myself or explain what I’d said. So I did: always leave something for the next guy, don’t take the last one unless it’s all that’s left.
He looks at me funny, smiles and says “hold on, don’t leave yet “. He walks into the back and hands me a full brick of 1000 primers. He then asked if we needed any powder since they were hoarding it in the back as well. Seems like folks were indeed pouring powder from one container into another of the same type. Especially the 8 pound jugs. You could get 2+ pounds more into an 8 pound jug if you tried.
We put the two loose boxes back and thanked him and bought the brick.

In regards to checking ammo, I have a picture somewhere of a box of brand new Remington.223 ammo that had a primer mis-installed. It was turned about 90 degrees and smashed in. Surprised there wasn’t an accident at the factory. When I contacted Remington their reply was along the lines of “well, there’s a shortage, we’re doing the best we can”.

So I do check ammo before I buy it. If I purchase commercial ammo anymore.

The powder thing makes my head explode!

Those dip****s who were stealing powder by pouring some into another container could easily have killed someone.

Just a little different label (like cfe223 vs cfe308) and some totally unwitting person could easily have been killed-through no fault of their own.

I think those powder jugs should have much tougher seals-and child proof tops. Stuff to make it real obvious some asshole has opened them.

The powder thing makes my head explode!

Those dip****s who were stealing powder by pouring some into another container could easily have killed someone.

Just a little different label (like cfe223 vs cfe308) and some totally unwitting person could easily have been killed-through no fault of their own.

I think those powder jugs should have much tougher seals-and child proof tops. Stuff to make it real obvious some asshole has opened them.

Back when a can of powder was a can of powder, they were sealed, similar to a beer bottle. You needed some sort of opener to remove the cap the first time.

Back when a can of powder was a can of powder, they were sealed, similar to a beer bottle. You needed some sort of opener to remove the cap the first time.

Yea it would be nice if they did some type of better sealing. There are so many options out there even something as simple like the little ring of plastic that break from a plastic bottle soft drink when you open it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom