• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WMA hunting with a silencer

bassist2416

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
I didn't see anybody post about this, and if you did I didn't see, obviously, but you can now hunt WMA's with a silencer unless otherwise noted for that WMA. Page 16 of the new regs states: "Lawfully possessed suppressors may be used for hunting on private property and public lands, unless otherwise specified. permission of the land owner is required."

I should have bought the silenced muzzle loader from Silencerco when they were on sale.

Unless otherwise stated in the special regs for each individual WMA, yes.
***Call the regional office to confirm. Take my word for it. Save yourself the trouble. The DNR officers may be aware but all WMA personnel may not.
I got into a pissing match with the area Mgr on a WMA quota hunt last year about the legality of my can on a particular WMA hunt. He said he called the regional office to verify if it was indeed legal and informed me that it was not legal there. The regs for that WMA did not mention any such thing. He said Law enforcement was going to respond if I tried to use it.
I bit a hole in my lip and walked away-probably a wise choice. Luckily I take a backup rifle to every hunt that I attend.
One call to the regional office confirmed that I was CORRECT and that they would let him know that they were allowed because the special regs under that WMA did not prohibit them. I doubt that he really made the phone call to check because they gave me a prompt “yes”, that they were allowed.

I was thinking of getting a .22 silencer and combo it up with a modded ruger charger for winter squirrels during deer season. Put some low velocity rounds and a small optic on it.

Taking squirrels and not spooking muh deer would be quite nice!

Unless otherwise stated in the special regs for each individual WMA, yes.
***Call the regional office to confirm. Take my word for it. Save yourself the trouble. The DNR officers may be aware but all WMA personnel may not.
I got into a pissing match with the area Mgr on a WMA quota hunt last year about the legality of my can on a particular WMA hunt. He said he called the regional office to verify if it was indeed legal and informed me that it was not legal there. The regs for that WMA did not mention any such thing. He said Law enforcement was going to respond if I tried to use it.
I bit a hole in my lip and walked away-probably a wise choice. Luckily I take a backup rifle to every hunt that I attend.
One call to the regional office confirmed that I was CORRECT and that they would let him know that they were allowed because the special regs under that WMA did not prohibit them. I doubt that he really made the phone call to check because they gave me a prompt “yes”, that they were allowed.

Thats a good idea, I would not have thought about that. I would think they would know this but then again they probably don't sit at home reading the regs like we do.

Thats a good idea, I would not have thought about that. I would think they would know this but then again they probably don't sit at home reading the regs libera we do.
That’s a possibility. Some of the personnel working the hunts are biologists or whatever and have other things to be concerned with I’m sure. My post was not a jab against any of the DNR personnel working the hunts-don’t get me wrong, they do a great job at the hunts and I have no hard feelings whatsoever.
I want to make folks aware of my experience in regards to the new regulations regarding suppressor and buckshot use on wma’s so they don’t have to endure the same issues.

That’s a possibility. Some of the personnel working the hunts are biologists or whatever and have other things to be concerned with I’m sure. My post was not a jab against any of the DNR personnel working the hunts-don’t get me wrong, they do a great job at the hunts and I have no hard feelings whatsoever.
I want to make folks aware of my experience in regards to the new regulations regarding suppressor and buckshot use on wma’s so they don’t have to endure the same issues.

I understand, I didn't take it as a hit on them at all. I do appreciate you sharing the experience because I would have probably not been as nice as you were about it. I dont get to hunt often so when I do I want it to go as smooth as possible and this is one of those items that is quick and easy to make it go smoother.

I understand, I didn't take it as a hit on them at all. I do appreciate you sharing the experience because I would have probably not been as nice as you were about it. I dont get to hunt often so when I do I want it to go as smooth as possible and this is one of those items that is quick and easy to make it go smoother.
I didn’t want to escalate things and then end up getting kicked off of the hunt. I had 2 others there with me and we all rode together, so I saved one of them from having to give me a 5 hour ride home.

Back
Top Bottom