• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Worst part about being a motorcycle lover

My garage is once again covered in motorcycle...

i.imgur.com_UI1d9Zy.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

That's a great pictures!
You reminded me of the day I tried to fix my back tail light that would work sometimes and sometimes not. In the next few hours the entire bike ended up in parts, on the sidewalk outside the barracks. I stashed it all in the 2 empty wall lockers in my room. Did a bunch of work on it and re-painted the frame and then put it all back together. Being able to put it all back together made me feel pretty good about myself. :becky:

Well, got like 5 things done on one bike last night. Bet my neighbors love me with my 12:30 AM test ride.

I can't leave the house without making some noise, but I can get back in coasting the last 1/4 mile or so. I've learned to yell to the wife that it's me. Scared her good one time and she scared me back!
Lol

$41K... I can only imagine. Most I've ever paid for a bike is my current ride I got two months ago. It replaced my 1985 GL1200 (soon to be listed). A 2008 Gold Wing with 21,000 miles, $12,000. On the positive side it was made in Marysville, OH.

It's a nice ride, but only has a 112 cubic inches in a flat six configuration. To quote a part of an September 2015 article from BIGBIKEMAD,

"The GL1800’s engine is an opposed Flat 6 – a design used by both Subaru and Porsche to keep weight and hence centre of gravity low and reduce vibration. It works here too. The mill delivers an unstressed 116bhp at 5500rpm and a stump-pulling 123ftlbs of torque at 4000rpm. Curiously, those figures give the bike about the same power to weight as a Porsche 911…"

20160207_164945.jpg
20160201_192132.jpg

$41K... I can only imagine. Most I've ever paid for a bike is my current ride I got two months ago. It replaced my 1985 GL1200 (soon to be listed). A 2008 Gold Wing with 21,000 miles, $12,000. On the positive side it was made in Marywville, OH.

It's a nice ride, but only has a 112 cubic inches in a flat six configuration. To quote a part of an September 2015 article from BIGBIKEMAD,

"The GL1800’s engine is an opposed Flat 6 – a design used by both Subaru and Porsche to keep weight and hence centre of gravity low and reduce vibration. It works here too. The mill delivers an unstressed 116bhp at 5500rpm and a stump-pulling 123ftlbs of torque at 4000rpm. Curiously, those figures give the bike about the same power to weight as a Porsche 911…"

View attachment 714270 View attachment 714273

Awesome scooter. Gold Wings have come a long way since 1985. I still remember when they first came out back in the mid to late 70's and if you wanted fairing, trunk or saddle bags, you had to go with Vetter aftermarket. LOL

Awesome scooter. Gold Wings have come a long way since 1985. I still remember when they first came out back in the mid to late 70's and if you wanted fairing, trunk or saddle bags, you had to go with Vetter aftermarket. LOL

I have two full sets of Vetter gear (fairing, lowers, saddlebags, tour trunk and Vetter Cycle Sound). One is burgundy and installed on a 1981 GL1100. Bike ran great when I bought it, but my plan was to remove the Vetter gear and take it back to a naked Wing. The VIN number indicates it was manufactured as a naked Wing, I believe the last year Honda made a naked Wing. The other set of Vetter gear is black. My plan was to cross-cannibalize between the two sets of Vetter gear and make the perfect set.

I pulled most all the Vetter stuff off the bike except for the fairing. Got an original headlight and turn signals. Bought a new set of tires (uninstalled). Unfortunately, I had some financial and medical issues which got in the way of the restoration. I've had it listed on ODT, but no one has bit yet because I haven't posted pics. But, I'll have pics up tonight. Having garage doors replaced tomorrow, so have had to move things around.

Funny thing is most young riders these days don't even know about Craig Vetter. His early designs in the 70's for racing bikes and bikes setting land speed records. Heck, I had a full set of Vetter gear on my 1980 Suzuki GS850GT, including Vetter Hippo Hands for Winter riding.

When the first Gold Wing GL1000 came out in 1975, it was the second fastest production bike in the world. The first was the Kawasaki KZ1000. Same one they used in the series, C.H.I.P.S.

When the first Gold Wing GL1000 came out in 1975, it was the second fastest production bike in the world. The first was the Kawasaki KZ1000. Same one they used in the series, C.H.I.P.S.

When I was in Hawaii in the late 70's / early 80's the fastest bike on the island of Oahu was a KZ1000 turbocharged.
(Well, when ridden by a guy named Mike Kilgore.)
The guy could piss anybody off by riding their bike faster than they could! lol

I learned some people are good and some are better.....

By the way at the beginning of that show the bike was a KZ-900.
(I remember because a Marine named Charlie that we raced with had one .....)

Back
Top Bottom