• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Worst recoiling gun you've shot.

Dad has a 45-70 Ruger #3 that's super light and kicks like a pissed off mule with some of his handloads.

He also has an Encore pistol barrel in the same caliber. But the 410/45 derringer was worse pistol wise anyway.

my 8mm and 338 win mag are two of the sweetest shooting rifles i have ever owned and shot.
they don't kick that bad.
i have a red pad Ruger 77 30-06 that does.

2.5 inch S&W 500 on a dare. Only fired one round. Next in line, a Winchester 12 gauge semi auto with me firing a 3.5 inch magnum shell. Did not hold the buttstock tightly enough to my shoulder. Shotgun recoiled out of my hands onto the floor cracking the stock. Also only fired one round. I like 22's. [A wise man knows his limitations]. Thanks.

We had a guy here several years ago that turned a 10ga single shot into a Derringer size pistol. It was fun to watch him build it but he said it hurt bad. I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Maybe BIKER13 BIKER13 or one of the other OGs will remember him

Atscott got.it.. handloads for a 45-70 in a #3 ruger.. lightweight 18" barrel and a steel buttplate. .actually kicked like two mules...sold it within the month. I used to hunt with a remington custom shop model 7 in 350 rem mag. Rifle had a brown precision stock. Whole rifle is around 6 lbs total.. didn't take long to sight in on the bench but the 45-70 was the worst

I'm not recoil sensitive but out of all the guns I've owned or shot, the worst recoiling guns that come to mind. Mossberg 835 with heavy weight turkey loads. I cringe even when shooting at a turkey with this beast. I think I've dislodged some vertabra shooting this gun. Second Remington 600 carbine in 350 rem Mag. From a standing position not too bad. From a bench the recoil shocks my bones like a tuning fork welded by Thor. I think continual firing would cause multiple myeloma. I've got a 458 wm, 416 Rigby and a 375 HH mag that don't hurt as much as these two.
So what gun do you not looking forward to shoot or have decided never again?
M551 Sheridan...damn thing would pick up the front 2 road wheels when it fired...

Back
Top Bottom