• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Worst recoiling gun you've shot.

That 30-06 of mine that I mentioned earlier was my father's gun when he bought it late '70s early '80s I can't remember exactly when. We had a Plymouth horizon as a family car when we first moved to Oklahoma. That was in 1980. He had laid that gun on the top of the car and didn't have the front supported with his hand. When he shot that gun it bounced off the top of the top of the car and the scope came back and it made him a instant member of " The Half Moon Club ". I felt so sorry for him cause it damn near knocked him senseless and he bled like a stuck hog for 30 minutes. It cut him deep too! I had to drive home then and I didn't even have my driver's license.

Edit: to put my post in context, that's a Boys Anti-Tank Rifle from WW2

If I remember correctly, that would make it a Mk1, which I think has a reputation for being the nastiest.
Well, all Boys rifles were originally .55, the one I shot was re-barreled to .50BMG to be imported into the US. BUT, it also had a better brake on it (dual vent). I think that designated it the MKII.
I did shoot one round without the brake and I actually skidded back about 4 inches! LOL!

S&W model 29 with a 4” magna ported barrel, 240gr JHP’s felt like getting hit by a hammer in the palm!

AND……

A 5 lb Camo Mossberg 500 with a 22” barrel shooting Remington 3” Nitro turkey loads, only took one shot and I sold that gun. Felt like I took a left hook to the cheekbone from Mike Tyson, I couldn’t open my right eye for about an hour. Way worse than the 45-70 Guide Gun I had.

I'm not recoil sensitive but out of all the guns I've owned or shot, the worst recoiling guns that come to mind. Mossberg 835 with heavy weight turkey loads. I cringe even when shooting at a turkey with this beast. I think I've dislodged some vertabra shooting this gun. Second Remington 600 carbine in 350 rem Mag. From a standing position not too bad. From a bench the recoil shocks my bones like a tuning fork welded by Thor. I think continual firing would cause multiple myeloma. I've got a 458 wm, 416 Rigby and a 375 HH mag that don't hurt as much as these two.
So what gun do you not looking forward to shoot or have decided never again?
I hunt with the 835 using 3.5" shells and I can agree. When patterning the gun using different shells at about shot 10 I quit and couldn't take much more. My shoulder was bruised for a week. On the flip side of things it's a turkey slayer when I can get one in range.

I think for me it was a .460 Weatherby magnum we set up for an Africa hunt. Rifle was not as heavy as I was expecting and had a sharp bite. second it had to be a little marlin in .444 we worked on that I was handed to test fire. I had no involvement in the work and had thought it was a .30-30 til I pulled the trigger. Third a Remington model 11 with hot loads. I was at the test tank and swear I could feel the action as it recoiled back into my shoulder. Those are some that stick out to me.

Back
Top Bottom