• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wrangler vs Cherokee

The quickest sale I ever made was a 99 Cherokee in 2 wheel drive. Listed it around 5:00 on Craigslist and sold it in my driveway for my asking price by 7:30 drinking a Natural Light . Point being that as long as you find a mechanically sound regular Cherokee ( NOT Grand Cherokee! ) you can't go wrong. You can get your money back out of it. I like them because they had base models with manual windows and locks almost up to the last ones. Problem was that most of those base models were also 2WD.

Oh and a Cherokee is a vehicle you can drive everyday if you have to. If you had to drive a Wrangler everyday you would most likely get rid of it. A Wrangler is a third car or weekend car.

Legit

Wrangler for the win! But,i keep it in the garage with the top off and only drive it when
the weather is good and drive my truck everday.I would not want it as my only vehicle.

Yeah they seem more like a fun toy but not a practical
Everyday vehicle.

I can fit hunting gear for three guys in my Cherokee and get it anywhere we need to go.

They are money pits and if you're not mechanically inclined don't even get one unless you have deep pockets and a cheap mechanic.

Carry extra parts (the common ones) and tools to fix them.

If you want to become a mechanic....but a Cherokee and a repair manual because you will
Need it and it's a fun vehicle to work on.

The first thing I do is upgrade all my battery cables including running a fat, dedicated ground cable from the bettery neg to the engine block and chassis to engine to keep my electrons flowing strong and happy.

This may sound really bad but.....

Is that a real problem? Will the entire family ever all be in it at once?

Like I posted earlier what's your intended use? Weekend offroad toy, sunny day rides with the top down while still semi-practical, dailly driver(cherokee FTW), another "family" vehicle?
I took my backseat out and will keep it a two seater from now on.

I hope this is a conversation about the older body styles and not that new Wrangler/Cherokee junk they produce now?

If talking older, Cherokee if you are going to drive it for more than just weekend fun, Wrangler if just a trail toy.

Not much suck like driving a Wrangler daily. They handle awful, brakes are terrible, unstable on the highways,more so if you have a lift, no power, if you have a soft top only, cold in the winter and not so cool in the summer sans removing the top and doors.

Cherokee's are pretty comfortable for how capable off road they are. Plus, the added storage and rear seat comfort (if yours is a 4 door) is pretty descent. Still handle like crap, are slow and brakes are meh. Miles above a Wrangler for comfort though.

Resale favors the Wrangler of course given the same year/miles, but again, it is about your intended use.

Yeah they seem more like a fun toy but not a practical
Everyday vehicle.

I can fit hunting gear for three guys in my Cherokee and get it anywhere we need to go.

They are money pits and if you're not mechanically inclined don't even get one unless you have deep pockets and a cheap mechanic.

Carry extra parts (the common ones) and tools to fix them.

If you want to become a mechanic....but a Cherokee and a repair manual because you will
Need it and it's a fun vehicle to work on.

The first thing I do is upgrade all my battery cables including running a fat, dedicated ground cable from the bettery neg to the engine block and chassis to engine to keep my electrons flowing strong and happy.

That. Inline 6 is a very durable engine....

Back
Top Bottom