• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wrangler vs Cherokee

I hope this is a conversation about the older body styles and not that new Wrangler/Cherokee junk they produce now?

If talking older, Cherokee if you are going to drive it for more than just weekend fun, Wrangler if just a trail toy.

Not much suck like driving a Wrangler daily. They handle awful, brakes are terrible, unstable on the highways,more so if you have a lift, no power, if you have a soft top only, cold in the winter and not so cool in the summer sans removing the top and doors.

Cherokee's are pretty comfortable for how capable off road they are. Plus, the added storage and rear seat comfort (if yours is a 4 door) is pretty descent. Still handle like crap, are slow and brakes are meh. Miles above a Wrangler for comfort though.

Resale favors the Wrangler of course given the same year/miles, but again, it is about your intended use.

As far as. Takes and bigger tires for lifted vehicles....get a set of EBC yellow stuff brake pads for the front for much better stopping power than anything the auto parts store chains carry.
Very soft pads but you get a lot of dust although you
Wanna stop.

I had two of the old style Cherokees in a row and loved them both. My first one was a 2-door manual with power nothing. Looking back, it was the best of two. The less tech the better in a Jeep. My second one had all kinds of annoying electrical problems all the time. Never had a single engine problem with either of them though. Both were straight 6.

I was sad when they stopped making them and then rolled out these new little vans in their place.

Bigger tires and lift helps off road, but absolutely screws on road use.

235s on a Wrangler is as big as you need, and you still have excellent braking, acceleration (as long as no 4 popper toy motor) good on road manners and NO need to lift anything.

Cherokees have all the downsides of all jeeps, but none of the resale value, like an uncomfortable and under powered Land Rover.

IMG_3480.JPG
I have. 3" lift and went with adjustable track bar and heavy tie rod ends with 31" tires.
I can still Cruise easily at 75Mph all day long comfortably with great road manners and still tons of off the line torque but not near as fast as when I was running 205/75r15's.

I
Was upset when they went to the big coil pack distributorless
Ignition and that stupid key recognition ring.

Two more expensive Fixes in an effort to over engineer a tried and true system.

Here's my toy.

My
Father in law wants to sell me his wrangler that got lightly
Laid over on its side in a snow bank.
Needs front suspension work but has a big lift only $3500.
4x4 auto 4.0.
Says it's all over the road.
Thinking of putting a small lift and 31's and ripping the massive
Lift off of it.

My
Father in law wants to sell me his wrangler that got lightly
Laid over on its side in a snow bank.
Needs front suspension work but has a big lift only $3500.
4x4 auto 4.0.
Says it's all over the road.
Thinking of putting a small lift and 31's and ripping the massive
Lift off of it.
I have a 2" suspension lift and took off a 2'' body lift(they suck btw) It is a pretty good ride/control at all speeds but it's not a "huge" set-up. I have a cold air intake,header and no exhuast/muffler past the cat conv. Runs and sounds like a beast and still passes emissions.I also had the 5 speed rebuilt,added rancho shocks,2 new tops/doors,stereo,nerf bars. I have driven it less than 500 miles since restoration was complete in november. $3500 doesn't go very far when shopping wranglers,if it's fixable for 3k or less in parts i would scoop it up. I ended up around 9k completed,but did the labor at our auto shop.

I would but I just use mine for occasional offroad use mainly
Going to hunting properties or getting closer to a deer I need
To drag.

I don't need the temptation of getting brave on trails and mud holes just For fun.

I have a 2" suspension lift and took off a 2'' body lift(they suck btw) It is a pretty good ride/control at all speeds but it's not a "huge" set-up. I have a cold air intake,header and no exhuast/muffler past the cat conv. Runs and sounds like a beast and still passes emissions.I also had the 5 speed rebuilt,added rancho shocks,2 new tops/doors,stereo,nerf bars. I have driven it less than 500 miles since restoration was complete in november. $3500 doesn't go very far when shopping wranglers,if it's fixable for 3k or less in parts i would scoop it up. I ended up around 9k completed,but did the labor at our auto shop.

Yeah the wrangler he has is in great shape all around others that he had a shackle welded where it attached to the front axle.
Not sure which one, maybe UCA but he says when you're going down the road about 45-50 mph and hit a crown or an uneven spot it throws the vehicle sideways and it feels like it's gonna flip over.
It's not death wobble but something is off.
I told him it could be the lift components were wrong for that build and maybe should have used specialty parts in addition to the lift such as a drop Pittman arm..etc.
He insists the lift was done professionally.....I just need to go look at it but it's in Pennsylvania.

Back
Top Bottom