• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Young Man Afraid Of His Horses

Better.

i.imgur.com_fc5Z5iC.jpg

i.imgur.com_epRicQE.jpg

Been a while. Massive amounts of travel for work but a short lull in April and I'm wanting to go back to work on Young Man. Had it out to the range with the final version of the front sight. Pretty well shooting where I was pointing it at 10 to 15 yards. Lots of bullets touching. Definitely could use a longer elevation screw on the rear sight to get the fullest range of adjustment, but the screw that's on there is just long enough. I'll root around and see what comes up, I don't think the screw in the rear sight is original or if it is, its been ground off short.

So, the first big step. Pulled the Urethane grip panels. I'd previously sealed the outer borders with tuff as nails super glue. The center panels were stained with coffee grounds and a bit of mahogany stain. The oil stain has had weeks to dry on top of the somewhat porous urethane inner panels and so, after taping off the outer borders, I hit the inner panel with a double shot of clear acrylic enamel to lock in the stain on the carving. With some sweat and some more dirt ground into the nooks of the carving, it'll look super.

The grips are put away and the short list of things to accomplish before bluing is somewhat like, final fit the colt 1860 Army Grip. Final fit and tune the main spring mount in the grip. Final fit the Story ERH and its brass band to the loop on the right side of the frame. Polish the barrel a bit more to try to rid it of the pitting that still shows with out loosing the markings on the left side of the barrel. Clean and sand the entire gun evenly and rust blue and the 38/357 cylinder. (The NOS 9mm cylinder is fitted. Its factory blue is perfect, so it'll be left alone, since I suspect it'll only be installed as a plinker rather than for regular use/carry.) Polish and clean the sides of the hammer so they are bright again.

And then, after all that.....it should be done!

Determined the rear sight elevation screw is standard gun thread, 6x48 TPI....in case I want to make up a new elevation screw.

i.imgur.com_DJHrp4z.jpg

Spent time this evening final fitting the trigger guard to the frame. Shortening screws, counter sinking the frame where the factory unthreaded screw shank is longer than the shoulder in the Colt brass frame, etc. Got it laying on the frame, cinched tight and in a position where the screws are not stressed/bound inside the holes in the colt brass frame.

i.imgur.com_RV8yepT.jpg

Colt brass trigger guard is a bit different than the ruger frame as they are not intended to be mated......here the left side....

i.imgur.com_xpNfMFN.jpg

And here, on the right.....

i.imgur.com_sWINew5.jpg

And finally, the backstrap, installed in its unstressed position, before and after a bit of straightening.

i.imgur.com_tUtLkg9.jpg

i.imgur.com_kIAymX5.jpg

And then, to add to the list of stuff to do....I have a Hammerli Dakota SAA 357 inbound. Only made 69-72, top quality and close close close to the original Colt......

I'm finally catching up with this project! Its been a long road time wise and a struggle with flowing the creative juices. I think this'll be the last ruger for a while. Until I'm ready to do up a carbine, it feels I've done about all I want to do with the platform. Time to creatively engage another project and I think it'll be my scratch made box lock muzzleloader on the Ruger 10-22 shape.

Yes, you'll get to see it finished. Go under my threads, plenty more projects like this involving handguns and rifles and such. Its all about what you can do, at home, with simple/inexpensive tooling and some plain determination. The threads are primarily about teaching something besides parts swapping and spraying cerakrap.

Yes, you'll get to see it finished. Go under my threads, plenty more projects like this involving handguns and rifles and such. Its all about what you can do, at home, with simple/inexpensive tooling and some plain determination. The threads are primarily about teaching something besides parts swapping and spraying cerakrap.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply...and for posting these threads!

Got some finishing done on the grips today. Fitted to the frame at the front of the trigger guard. Clearance the trigger guard slot to ensure the trigger moves freely through its complete stroke. Clipped the top of the backstrap ears slightly and polished them into the frame ears for a smooth transition.n Gave the backstrap and trigger guard an overall polish.

i.imgur.com_isC3iSe.jpg

Smoothed up the mainspring mount so there are no sharp edges.

i.imgur.com_Mffi63O.jpg

Started working the ERH Loop down to a level where the outer circumference better meets and blends with the story steel ERH.

i.imgur.com_Sdzspqo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom