Your favorite deer to larger game hunting rifle.

My favorite is my Remington 700 BDL in 30-06, I refinished the stock in boiled linseed oil and topped it with an old school Redfield base and set of scope rings along with a Redfield 3x9x40.

View attachment 6082113
I can say this for sure. The older rifles like ours don't play around when it comes to accuracy. With regular Remington core locked ammo my gun will hit where the crosshairs are. They are just plain out accurate. I guess they took a little more time when making their barrels or whatever the case may be they are just more accurate than todays 700s. My friend bought a stainless Remington sendero in 7 mm Magnum. My gun shoots circles around that gun literally. That gun couldn't group worth a damn. I can shoot a smiley face with mine and that's not an exaggeration.

That's like asking which one of your kids do you love most. Too many variables in picking one. lol Hunting out west? Hunting larger animals? Chance I might run into a Grizz? I have Ruger 77 boat paddle 7mm mag in stainless for overall but if I'm hunting in grizz country I'll opt for my .338 wm. I recently had a Remington 700 built in .358 Win but that's a sub 300 yard gun and not quite what I would want in bear country.

That's like asking which one of your kids do you love most. Too many variables in picking one. lol Hunting out west? Hunting larger animals? Chance I might run into a Grizz? I have Ruger 77 boat paddle 7mm mag in stainless for overall but if I'm hunting in grizz country I'll opt for my .338 wm. I recently had a Remington 700 built in .358 Win but that's a sub 300 yard gun and not quite what I would want in bear country.
A 30-06 will take anything in North America. I've seen grizzlies shot with 308 before and they were dispatched quite quickly. I do have to agree with it relating to which kid you like the best. I can kill a deer with any centerfire rifle in my safe. The 700 BDL is over all my favorite rifle but my 6.8spc's will take a deer all day long and drop him in his tracks with the right load and shot placement.

I p
I have to agree on that unfortunately. They are more versatile when the elements are inclement. Especially with the stainless action and Barrel. But we're not in Alaska so we can get by with a little blue steel and wood. However, when hunting in bad weather and rain stainless and synthetic is the only way to go.
I plan on using an AR for bad weather this year though. This one is in .277 Wolverine, it's a stainless barrel made by Mad Dog Weapons Systems. Not a lot of factory loaded ammo for it though. More of a wildcat.

20230813_101128.jpg

I p
I plan on using an AR for bad weather this year though. This one is in .277 Wolverine, it's a stainless barrel made by Mad Dog Weapons Systems. Not a lot of factory loaded ammo for it though. More of a wildcat.

View attachment 6082461
If you would post a pic of a cartridge. Please! That peaks my interest. Same diameter as the .270 and 6.8spc but has to be a bastard of a round with a name like Wolverine.

I will use my trusty not rusty Ruger 44 mag carbine. Although I am buying a Cz 527 in 22 hornet next week that might get some time in the woods this year

If you would post a pic of a cartridge. Please! That peaks my interest. Same diameter as the .270 and 6.8spc but has to be a bastard of a round with a name like Wolverine.
I looked it up it looks like to be a 277 round in a 223 case. Just a tad smaller than a 6.8 SPC but still looks like a nice effective round. Try some IMR xbr8208 that seems to be a excellent powder for lighter rounds in my 6.8 SPC. Very accurate out of my Wilson Combat 6.8spc barrels and my Daniel defense 6.8spc barrel. It's hard as heck to find right now but it's a good powder.

I’m old fashioned as I really like steel and wood and classic cartridges. Here is my 1922 Brazilian Mauser in 7x57. Got another one being built by my gunsmith in 275 Rigby (fancy name for 7x57). Also have my rebarreled Portuguese Vergueiro in 7x57.

Attachments

• 69F29203-F502-487F-81CB-13F5C26B0FC5.jpeg
    69F29203-F502-487F-81CB-13F5C26B0FC5.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 11
  • CAB9418D-D855-48DE-83EA-67CC96FFC952.jpeg
    CAB9418D-D855-48DE-83EA-67CC96FFC952.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom