• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your favorite deer to larger game hunting rifle.

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
I had never heard of Bergara when I got this rifle. I was just looking for a new 300 win mag. I could not be happier with the performance of this firearm. Clover leaves all day long with this thing using nothing but cheap norma hunting ammunition. I can't even imagine what match ammo would do seeing as I haven't used it.

So, what's your favorite hunting rifle you'll use this season?

IMG_0370[1].JPG
IMG_0374[1].JPG

I had never heard of Bergara when I got this rifle. I was just looking for a new 300 win mag. I could not be happier with the performance of this firearm. Clover leaves all day long with this thing using nothing but cheap norma hunting ammunition. I can't even imagine what match ammo would do seeing as I haven't used it.

View attachment 6081945View attachment 6081946
WOW! MY FAVORITE, 6.5 CM Barrett fieldcraft, 4.7 lbs

View attachment 6081945View attachment 6081946
I want one just like that. A Bergara 300 Win Mag with that set up. Been wanting one for a while. When I saw the docu on their business on the Outdoor Channel the man that made their barrels had been making barrels for 40 years. I believe he started in Italy and he cut every barrel that left that facility. He is a master craftsman.

My favorite is my Remington 700 BDL in 30-06, I refinished the stock in boiled linseed oil and topped it with an old school Redfield base and set of scope rings along with a Redfield 3x9x40.

View attachment 6082113
I have a late 70s 700 BDL in 30-06. It still looks like brand new except for one Nick in the black part at the front of the stock. It was my gun of choice when I deer hunted every year. It was my dad's gun at the time but he passed and left it to me. It happens to be my favorite gun. Not only because it's beautiful blue steel and high gloss wood but because it was my father's and it's still set up the same way he had it. Even the same old Bushnell banner BDC scope.

I had lost the top of the cap on the elevation turret in the insert for the caliber specific BDC dial. Believe it or not I ordered one a few years back and they had them in stock. They sent me the replacement cap and a new little set of BDC dial replacements. They're ballistically calibrated for different calibers. They're in 100 yard increments and of course I've got the 30 caliber dial in. I absolutely love that gun.

I think the market today has gotten away from the beautiful blue steel and high gloss wood and it's a shame. To me the synthetic stock just have no character whatsoever. They're cranked out on an injection molding machine by the hundreds per day with no salt of beauty. So it kind of takes away from the whole 700 BDL tradition.

IMG_20230104_165257217.jpg

If I remember correctly I think this one was made in the 70's. They definitely have more appeal to me than matte bluing and plastic. Synthetic does work well for bad weather days though.
I have to agree on that unfortunately. They are more versatile when the elements are inclement. Especially with the stainless action and Barrel. But we're not in Alaska so we can get by with a little blue steel and wood. However, when hunting in bad weather and rain stainless and synthetic is the only way to go.

Back
Top Bottom