• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your very first motorcycle?

The Suzuki Titan 500cc was the first motorcycle that I bought in the states. Built like a tank and would probably run forever. Stock photo:
Suzuki-Titan-T500-Left-Side.jpg

My very first bike was a 1982 Suzuki GS250... I bought it for $100.00 when I was 15 including the trailer is sat on. No key, no title, no idea if it would run. It was abandoned in a rental property and the landlord gave me a good deal so that I could learn some mechanicing skills. Anyways it did end up running and riding for me, I sold it a few years down the road to pay for attorney fee's but I will never forget that bike. Even though it was what is was I felt like the cool kid when I scooted around on it.

Much better quality since 1984. Funny thing is how many folks today think Harley's still leak oil, break down a lot and got no power.

they may not leak oil, but the still drop parts like it is going out of style and I have yet to sit on one that didn't bore me to death with it's lack of go.

My Harley is a 1988 model. It has 84,000 plus miles on it. Rode it to Wisconsin many times, Sturgis twice, Florida more times than I care to remember, Texas once and up the east coast once. 22 states all together. I bought her new in 1989 and it has never dropped a part yet. Has all the gitty up go I want and has never broke down on me. I did put a new SE-4 cam, new cam bearings, new set of roller lifters, pushrods and rocker arms in it at 35,000 ish miles but that was by choice. I did it myself. The SE-4 cam is the biggest cam I could put in it without having the heads worked over. It gave me some hellacious low end torque while not hurting the top end torque. I have owned 7 others since buying this one and there has been no comparison. Got rid of all 7 but have never seen the need to part with ole Betsy.

I dont knock on the Harley boys... to each their own. I dont see myself ever getting one to ride but I have seen many with VERY high mileage. I just liken them to Mercedes, they will last as long as you pay to keep them up as the dealer recommends. Personally Suzuki all the way but again its preference. Though I do agree with the performance factor, the Harleys just dont have the surge of power I want out of a bike. Maybe the VRod but still not quite right.

I dont knock on the Harley boys... to each their own. I dont see myself ever getting one to ride but I have seen many with VERY high mileage. I just liken them to Mercedes, they will last as long as you pay to keep them up as the dealer recommends. Personally Suzuki all the way but again its preference. Though I do agree with the performance factor, the Harleys just dont have the surge of power I want out of a bike. Maybe the VRod but still not quite right.

Wait until you get older, lol, that surge of power will kill ya!

Oh, I don't knock them either. I ride with several, hell technically I still own one. The day I brought mine home the factory forward controls fell off the bike in the first 5 miles. That combined with the upright seating position, and lack of GO keeps me off of them. They are nice, but I don't ever see myself riding one.

Oh, I don't knock them either. I ride with several, hell technically I still own one. The day I brought mine home the factory forward controls fell off the bike in the first 5 miles. That combined with the upright seating position, and lack of GO keeps me off of them. They are nice, but I don't ever see myself riding one.
They sure do look nice. I heard about the HD quality issues before as well.
I like the iron 883 or the vrods

Back
Top Bottom