• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/28 Hunt

Thanks! They are about 25 miles from me, but so is Sylvania so we will see. There used to be some places around Springfield and that’s a little closer so I’ll try that direction first.

Good luck hunting today and nice to meet another local here on ODT.

20 miles for me, but my youngest goes to portal, so she can pick up or drop off.

Bucks are chasing. 340 today

Attachments

• 89b55313-f818-4fd8-a685-e5077b640e12.jpg
    89b55313-f818-4fd8-a685-e5077b640e12.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 39
Good luck brother! I won’t be back in the woods until the first of the week.

I'm quitting hunting. I don't know what the **** is wrong with me. Perfect setup. Big 8 comes in 20 yards. Hammered him in the shoulder with my 45-70. Ran off like it didn't really bother him but I could see where I hit him. Not a single drop of blood. No blood, no deer, looked until I couldn't look any more. I haven't felt this bad about hunting in a long time. I put 10 hours in a climber today. Suffered through the misery and got that perfect moment and ****ing blew it. I'm done for a while.

Buddy jumped 2 deer about 20y out from his spot. My sons first hunt and he enjoyed it. Got a little antsy toward the end, but so did I…….😏View attachment 6405192
He was using the single shot Handi in .223 with a Barnes TSX 53gr solid copper over H4895. I just loaded up some Hornady 170gr FP over 30gr. IMR 3031 for the Savage 340 for his next time out.

I figure he’s 15 (16 in a month) 5,10 and about 145. He can handle a 30-30.

I'm quitting hunting. I don't know what the **** is wrong with me. Perfect setup. Big 8 comes in 20 yards. Hammered him in the shoulder with my 45-70. Ran off like it didn't really bother him but I could see where I hit him. Not a single drop of blood. No blood, no deer, looked until I couldn't look any more. I haven't felt this bad about hunting in a long time. I put 10 hours in a climber today. Suffered through the misery and got that perfect moment and ****ing blew it. I'm done for a while.
I hate to hear that for you brother, but unfortunately I'm sure most of us hunters have been there. You hunt long enough and these things do happen. Whitetail are resilient animals and their will to survive is amazing! I popped a cow sized doe twice (in the crease behind the shoulder as the 1st shot slowed her way down, but didnt put her down, so I sent another round, shots were @225 yards) a few years back with 7mm-08 and watched her fold up with each shot. Gave her 30-40 minutes, went to point of impact...no blood or hair. Searched for hours and hours, and nada 🤦‍♂️ granted it was a doe, but would have easily been the biggest I have ever harvested. Getting back on the horse as soon as possible was what helped me untwist my gut. Prayin you'll find what helps you get back out there.

I hate to hear that for you brother, but unfortunately I'm sure most of us hunters have been there. You hunt long enough and these things do happen. Whitetail are resilient animals and their will to survive is amazing! I popped a cow sized doe twice (in the crease behind the shoulder as the 1st shot slowed her way down, but didnt put her down, so I sent another round, shots were @225 yards) a few years back with 7mm-08 and watched her fold up with each shot. Gave her 30-40 minutes, went to point of impact...no blood or hair. Searched for hours and hours, and nada 🤦‍♂️ granted it was a doe, but would have easily been the biggest I have ever harvested. Getting back on the horse as soon as possible was what helped me untwist my gut. Prayin you'll find what helps you get back ouBenchmade.

I hear you. I need a few days. This one really ****ed me up. I suffered in that tree today because today has a special meaning to me. I probably ask for too much.

Back
Top Bottom