• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11/26 Hunt

Find a processor that will let them hang and age for a few days, and it will all taste good. The only thing I worry about otherwise is gutting them quickly if it's hot out.

I'll tell you a story. My buddy shot one late on opening day this year. The arrow did some funky crap and ended up splitting her guts open. It was hot as balls and late. Got it out to my house 3 hours after he killed it and gutted her. It was a holy mess. Hosed her out and had to cut a little extra from the sides. Hung her in a an old fridge that I thought still worked. Well it did not. I opened that thing up at 10 am and it felt like a warm breeze hitting me in the face. No stank though. Took her to the processor and the hung her 5 days and cut her up. The meat was outstanding. I was shocked. I dont know how. Especially after 12 hours in a hot fridge.

I'll tell you a story. My buddy shot one late on opening day this year. The arrow did some funky crap and ended up splitting her guts open. It was hot as balls and late. Got it out to my house 3 hours after he killed it and gutted her. It was a holy mess. Hosed her out and had to cut a little extra from the sides. Hung her in a an old fridge that I thought still worked. Well it did not. I opened that thing up at 10 am and it felt like a warm breeze hitting me in the face. No stank though. Took her to the processor and the hung her 5 days and cut her up. The meat was outstanding. I was shocked. I dont know how. Especially after 12 hours in a hot fridge.

Sounds like he gutted it quickly and probably saved it. My general rule of thumb is if it's above 40 degrees out, I gut them quick. Under 40 and I don't care.

And if you can hang and age a deer or quarter and ice them for a few days, it makes a world of difference. My processor has a big place so you can request him to hang it longer if something happens like with your buddy.

My picky 6 year old who eats no red meat will eat deer meat all day long once it's been aged.

Yesterday's hunt was a disaster. Ill stsrt by saying we have 2 teenage members one is 1r and the other is 16 who's dad pays their membership and is good friends with my wife's uncle, the two boys don't usually come down but on Sundays but we're there Yesterday. Yesterday morning I didn't see a thing. Then yesterday evening I tried a spot that hasn't been hunted this year. I get to the stand and climb about 25 feet and have a nice field of view, 75 yards to the left, 100 in front and 250 to the right and some thick stuff behind me about 50 yards. Youngest of the two teenagers was in a box stand about 500 yards away on the other side of a pine thicket. Well around 1700 here comes the 9pt I've been going after all season ever since I saw him on trail camera, he walks up to a mock scrape I made and starts to leave his mark on it. I raise my rifle, get on him and was waiting on him to give a better shot when I hear a close shot thus spooking the deer. I stayed until dark and didn't see anything else, I climbed down and got back to the house and he was already back, I asked him if he needed help getting his deer and he laughed and said he missed. I asked him what he was shooting at and he said it was small yearling around 60 pounds. I get that misses happen but I was irritated I lost a shot at a really nice buck because of it on top of between him and his brother they've killed 6 deer this year all of which have been small yearlings with the exception of one 6pt. And everytime I see either them or their dad they are begging me to take some deer meat and say they don't need anymore they have plenty. I guess I'm beginning to become a grumpy old man early.. Seen the same buck this morning running a small doe this morning but never had a shot on him.

Where I was yesterday. Saw one doe but hey quality time with my dad is always great, no matter the outcome.

Attachments

• 20171125_144228.jpg
    20171125_144228.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 31
Kind of early for bucks to have dropped their antlers; but, I had 2 does and a yearling in a bean field at 250yds, hit the doe grunt a couple times and here they all come. About 150yds out and a big bodied deer comes out the wood line, nose down and starts chasing the mature does. Could see the stumps from dropped antlers in the binos. Of course, I changed spots and didn't have the 300WM. I wasn't about to start launching rounds with the 45-70...another day.

Yesterday's hunt was a disaster. Ill stsrt by saying we have 2 teenage members one is 1r and the other is 16 who's dad pays their membership and is good friends with my wife's uncle, the two boys don't usually come down but on Sundays but we're there Yesterday. Yesterday morning I didn't see a thing. Then yesterday evening I tried a spot that hasn't been hunted this year. I get to the stand and climb about 25 feet and have a nice field of view, 75 yards to the left, 100 in front and 250 to the right and some thick stuff behind me about 50 yards. Youngest of the two teenagers was in a box stand about 500 yards away on the other side of a pine thicket. Well around 1700 here comes the 9pt I've been going after all season ever since I saw him on trail camera, he walks up to a mock scrape I made and starts to leave his mark on it. I raise my rifle, get on him and was waiting on him to give a better shot when I hear a close shot thus spooking the deer. I stayed until dark and didn't see anything else, I climbed down and got back to the house and he was already back, I asked him if he needed help getting his deer and he laughed and said he missed. I asked him what he was shooting at and he said it was small yearling around 60 pounds. I get that misses happen but I was irritated I lost a shot at a really nice buck because of it on top of between him and his brother they've killed 6 deer this year all of which have been small yearlings with the exception of one 6pt. And everytime I see either them or their dad they are begging me to take some deer meat and say they don't need anymore they have plenty. I guess I'm beginning to become a grumpy old man early.. Seen the same buck this morning running a small doe this morning but never had a shot on him.
thats why that family membership BS doesnt work.

Kind of early for bucks to have dropped their antlers; but, I had 2 does and a yearling in a bean field at 250yds, hit the doe grunt a couple times and here they all come. About 150yds out and a big bodied deer comes out the wood line, nose down and starts chasing the mature does. Could see the stumps from dropped antlers in the binos. Of course, I changed spots and didn't have the 300WM. I wasn't about to start launching rounds with the 45-70...another day.

That's crazy. I've never seen a buck drop in November.

Have a friend that shot a big doe a few years ago while hunting in Monticello. When he got to it, it was a buck that had dropped his antlers. Since then, they have noticed several bucks do the same thing in November and December. It is unusual .

Back
Top Bottom