• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

120 gallon propane tank smoker build

KingTuna

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
15   0
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm planning on building a grill/smoker out of a 120 gallon propane tank. I don't think I want a dedicated smoker with only a firebox, because i smoke 25% of the time and grill 75% of the time. Here are my ideas so far:

I have an old peanut wagon at my house. I plan on cutting it off before the rear axle, welding on a hitch, and welding propane tank on.

Cut a three foot long, 3 inch high strip at the bottom of the tank. I can weld some angle iron in the bottom of the tank and make tracks for a tray to slide in and out. This try would be able to hold charcoal in the middle of the grill for grilling, and I could put wood/coal on the left side of the grill and still offset smoke.

I'm thinking two 3 or 4 inch ID pipe for the stacks.

I have some pallet jigs I can cut up and use for steel for the grill and trailer. I have some security cages out of a prison vehicle that are made of 1 inch steel tubing and some thick mesh to use for the grate.

Any input or ideas? I just got a Lincoln AC 225 stick welder, so this will be my first project once I've done some playing and gotten used to running some good beads.

I have found that the reverse flow are great..Making a trailer is no problem..Might want to make sure, it is only the smoker on the trailer..If you build a open box for wood to haul, you will have to tag it..Anything that is designed to haul something, has to be tagged..A smoker by itself needs no tag, Just lights for towing. Venting and air flow are your greatest tools for fantastic Q. I wish you all the best and look forward to your progress..Make sure when you have finished your creation that, you properly season it, before you cook and consume any..Good luck with your adventure

I've been debating about making it a reverse flow, but I'm still not sure yet. I have to do a little wiring in the shop to hook the welder up to, and I'm looking for a oxygen tank so I can get me a oxygen/propane torch set up to cut all the scrap metal I have. It will probably be a few months before I get started on the smoker itself. I was hoping someone had already done something similar, and could give me a few dos and don'ts.

Don't drag your untagged smoker through Roswell and Cobb at 4am.

They'll pull you over.

Thought I was cool but the polite officer informed me that my tag was registered to a car, not the smoker.

Can't fool the PoPo.....

image.png

Well, the build shall begin this weekend. I don't think I'm going the reverse flow route, I'll be doing a somewhat traditional offset smoker. I have some pallet jigs that I'll be cutting up this afternoon, and I pick up the propane tank on Friday. With these cool nights, I'm ready for some bourbon and sprite zero( I'm a fatass and on the keto diet) and to get to welding on this bad boy!

Back
Top Bottom