• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

18 yrs and up CAN purchase handguns!

OK, it was an example. You know what I meant. And 16 as age of consent is ridiculous anyway. Basically you are saying a girl can legally have sex with an adult, can legally kill her baby but cannot vote or own a gun, or buy a beer. That is some really sick twisted BS right there.

I'm sure the argument could be made that everyone already comes pre-loaded with the required "equipment" to bang it out. As opposed to having to purchase a weapon, make political decisions, or indulge in a mind-altering substance. Not to mention that is an age that causes false statutory claims to be filed too easily when it's two teenagers involved.
That being said, I agree with you.

And on this age thing. Not to bash on our beloved elders, but why is it so common for me to hear about old-timers bragging about how they shot any and everything under the sun since "I was knee high to a grasshopper" but once they reach the age of the people that let them do it, suddenly they are wise enough to know "them youngins ain't fit till they're -- years old"

Yes, some folks absolutely need to grow up before handling dangerous tools. But that ain't dictated by age itself, as we've all seen.

So were you really that special and mature at that age? Or do y'all just like to gatekeep more than your predecessors did? :boink:

Bring on the saltiness.

I did not realize that 18 year olds still had to register. I joined in 76 at age 17 so never had to register. I just read that they resumed registration in 1980. And yes, It is perfectly legal to sell a handgun to an 18 year old in a private sale. Always has been.
I joined at 17 and had to register for selective service later.

I joined at 17 and had to register for selective service later.
But as I said, I joined in '76 and they did away with the draft in '77 before I turned 18. They resumed it again in '80 but by then I had already done 3 years active so no requirement to register.

Reactions: GFB
But as I said, I joined in '76 and the did away with the draft in '77 before I turned 18. They resumed it again in '80 but by then I had already done 3 years active so no requirement to register.
There's a weird window. I don't think it had anything to do with prior service but just when you were born.

"(O)nly men born between 29 March 1957, and 31 December 1959, were completely exempt from Selective Service registration."

I can tell you one thing I wouldn't want to be the one that sold an 18 year old a handgun and the next day he went and shot some place up with fatalities. The news media would be camped out on your front lawn the next day.

So Jogun Seller, how do you feel knowing your gun killed 15 kids yesterday?
Why did you decide to sell that gun to him? The questions would just keep pouring at you from all sides and your face smashed up against on of those industrial size cameras.

NOPE! NOT ME!
safest way to think. they wont even talk to you if the kid was 21...safety first....
when you decide a right is limited by a possible outcome.......and you chose to try and affect a possible outcome by taking a right away......you may not need any rights yourself....
you cant live thinking something you do can change things others do.
when you think you can control a possible / hypothetical outcome,by limiting others.......
your just about ready to run for public office.....

I don’t get the “I’ll only sell to an 18 year old if he’s military” thinking. What does signing your life over to the federal government do to make someone more trustworthy? These are usually the same people who complain about prices then only sell to 18 year olds who will risk theirs lives for their benefit.

There's a weird window. I don't think it had anything to do with prior service but just when you were born.

"(O)nly men born between 29 March 1957, and 31 December 1959, were completely exempt from Selective Service registration."

I never saw that before but it makes sense. I just knew that for some reason I never had to register when many of my friends did. Assumed it was because when they resumed in 1980 I was still on reserve roster.

Back
Top Bottom