• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

18 yrs and up CAN purchase handguns!

It's a hypothetical scenario. I said in a previous post that if a 18 year old is old enough to go to war they should be able to own whatever they want. However, with the media being the way it is I could see how a situation would arise that the seller of the gun would be scrutinized beyond all intelligent thought. You guys are going Nazi on me just because I have a little reservation about selling an 18 year old a handgun. It's not about the transaction to an 18 year old kid. I'm more worried about what the media would do if something did happen. My whole position in this scenario is more afraid of what the Press and what the courts would do to the person who sold the handgun than what the kid would do with the gun after he got it. If his license confirmed his age and he was a member of ODT in good standing I would probably Sell it to him. However, living where I do the point in mute. Everybody gets checked. When people think differently about a subject and you get all bent out of shape the Soviet Union and Putin just loves that kind of attitude. Or North Korea or China. Take your pick.
Can’t speak for other people, but I wouldn’t give what the media thinks and does a second thought. They can’t even decide what a woman is, so worrying about them going ballistic is sorta a non factor for me.

Can’t speak for other people, but I wouldn’t give what the media thinks and does a second thought. They can’t even decide what a woman is, so worrying about them going ballistic is sorta a non factor for me.
I agree. I sell rifles to 18 year olds fairly often and if it were legal for me to do so I would sell them handguns. A rifle is much more lethal. Much longer range, much more velocity and terminal energy. The only thing of concern is that a handgun is much more concealable.
I have never understood the thinking that it was OK for a person of a certain age to own one type firearm but not another. Makes very little sense to me.

I agree. I sell rifles to 18 year olds fairly often and if it were legal for me to do so I would sell them handguns. A rifle is much more lethal. Much longer range, much more velocity and terminal energy. The only thing of concern is that a handgun is much more concealable.
Agreed...
I have always looked at the classification of a rifle by design is to kill at range (offensive), a handgun is meant to stop an action up close (defensive).

I don’t get the “I’ll only sell to an 18 year old if he’s military” thinking. What does signing your life over to the federal government do to make someone more trustworthy? These are usually the same people who complain about prices then only sell to 18 year olds who will risk theirs lives for their benefit.

If I'm selling something I'm in it for the money. I'd sell to a 12 year old if I knew I wouldn't get into trouble. Which begs the question. Would I be held liable for making a private sale of a handgun to a 17 year old if I was just going off his word that he is legal to own?

If I'm selling something I'm in it for the money. I'd sell to a 12 year old if I knew I wouldn't get into trouble. Which begs the question. Would I be held liable for making a private sale of a handgun to a 17 year old if I was just going off his word that he is legal to own?
Yes. If the 17 year old was caught with it and the authorities could prove you sold it to them you would possibly be looking at some federal time. Especially in the current environment. If you got caught sleeping with a 17 year old girl do you think the argument that she looked 30 would hold up in court?

Back
Top Bottom