• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

18yr old daughter is starting college and needs a self defense weapon. Guns on campus are out so what is the best self defense weapon?

Honestly the real threat isn't a mugger or somebody hiding in the shadows at night. It's some guy spiking her drink at a party. It's the guys she's around when she drinks to much. The real danger comes when she couldn't defend herself even if she had a gun. It's tough to come to terms with, but the best thing you can do for her safety is talk to her. Don't let your drink leave your sight even for a second, have someone in the friend group take it easy and look out for everyone, and pace yourself.

Situational awareness and avoiding trouble is going to be one of the best things. Is pepper spray/stun guns legal on campus? Always use the buddy system and never go to places/parties alone.

Praying for your mental sanity as the parent in this situation I know its easy to worry.
Correct: she already has the best self preservation weapon right between her ears if she knows how to use it. There is another tool between her..........

What kind of physical shape is she in?
Maybe see if she can take some MMA classes to build up her physical skills and self-confidence?
That is way over rated. When I was young I instructed Martial Arts for several years. One of the classes I taught was women's self defense. With very few exceptions a large determined man can walk right through the hand to hand defense of even skilled women. Unless she gets in a lucky shot a woman is simply ineffective.

That is way over rated. When I was young I instructed Martial Arts for several years. One of the classes I taught was women's self defense. With very few exceptions a large determined man can walk right through the hand to hand defense of even skilled women. Unless she gets in a lucky shot a woman is simply ineffective.
Are no skills better than some?

Two of the biggest contributors to success when defending yourself are attitude and determination. If a victim - especially a physically inferior victim - is reluctant to act in a decisive manner, they're at a huge disadvantage. If an assailant has immobilized you, it's much harder to go for the eyes or throat, *even if* you're prepared to blind or choke them.

Situational awareness and "common sense" go a long way toward avoiding problems, and of course, that includes avoiding situations that place you at a distinct disadvantage - like being drunk or under the influence of other 'drugs'. (I could have saved myself a lot of problems if 60 year-old me could have advised 18 year-old me).

And then there's the old quote "Run fu before king fu before gun fu".

Sadly though, her options are probably limited to a can of the best pepper spray you can source, and something she can use *like* a kubaton. Anything more 'offensive' is likely to get her into trouble with the college. If you go that route, buy a few of the pepper sprays and actually have her practice with deploying one. With the "kubaton" (a good heavy stainless steel ballpoint pen has better deniability) show her where to strike. She might be a bit squeamish about poking an assailant in the temple or right under the ear but she needs to know where the temple and where exactly under the ear to go for. Be honest and tell her though that she has the capability to kill the scumbag who's attacking her.

On the matter of the "black cat", a friend of mine had cause to use one of those and she broke two fingers. A small price to pay in hindsight, but it might make your daughter and you consider alternatives.

Are no skills better than some?
Yes! At least then they don't have a false sense of security and will try to find a more realistic way to defend themselves. It's a hard lesson for her to learn that all those "skills" she learned are basically worthless as she's being raped.

Two of the biggest contributors to success when defending yourself are attitude and determination. If a victim - especially a physically inferior victim - is reluctant to act in a decisive manner, they're at a huge disadvantage. If an assailant has immobilized you, it's much harder to go for the eyes or throat, *even if* you're prepared to blind or choke them.

Situational awareness and "common sense" go a long way toward avoiding problems, and of course, that includes avoiding situations that place you at a distinct disadvantage - like being drunk or under the influence of other 'drugs'. (I could have saved myself a lot of problems if 60 year-old me could have advised 18 year-old me).

And then there's the old quote "Run fu before king fu before gun fu".

Sadly though, her options are probably limited to a can of the best pepper spray you can source, and something she can use *like* a kubaton. Anything more 'offensive' is likely to get her into trouble with the college. If you go that route, buy a few of the pepper sprays and actually have her practice with deploying one. With the "kubaton" (a good heavy stainless steel ballpoint pen has better deniability) show her where to strike. She might be a bit squeamish about poking an assailant in the temple or right under the ear but she needs to know where the temple and where exactly under the ear to go for. Be honest and tell her though that she has the capability to kill the scumbag who's attacking her.

On the matter of the "black cat", a friend of mine had cause to use one of those and she broke two fingers. A small price to pay in hindsight, but it might make your daughter and you consider alternatives.
I don't think there is much problem with carrying a good folding knife ( I could be wrong), but if she can carry one, she should focus on SD practice with an edged weapon. It takes a large part of the inequity of strength out of the picture. I also like the idea of actual practice with the spray type SD weapons.

Carrying on campus is felony in Georgia. All it takes is one mistake and my professional life would be over.
All it takes is one robbery and your real life will be over.
That said concealed is concealed.

Exactly.
Also consider armor. Soft armor fits in normal backpacks and provided some decent protection.

A better plan would be to not get shot in the first place because you have a gun too.

Back
Top Bottom