• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 for self defense?

cwb52987

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
24   0
Reaction score
I watch a lot of videos on different guns and look at different reviews and hickok45 is one that I watch the most and for the most part trust what he is saying. Something he said in a video I was watching the other night was he didn't too much rely on a 1911 for self defense and that really caught me off guard. He didn't go into detail as to why, maybe because he is a big Glock fan, but I was just wondering what everyone else's opinion on the topic was? Do you rely on a 1911 for self defense and if not what do you prefer?

I recon it's all up to what you are used to, and how you train. Me, I don't want any safeties on my handguns. Glocks and Smith and Wesson revolvers work for me.

Reactions: JWC
I own both Glocks and 1911 and I noticed that under stress the Glock shined the best.

On another note, if I had to use one that resulted in a justified situation.... It would be easier handing over a $400 Glock to the investigation crew rather then a $1000+ 1911....

Something to chew on I guess

Last edited:
I carry a compact RIA 1911 in cooler months.

Has been incredibly reliable.

And even with the 3.5" barrel, plenty accurate.

Breaks down like this for me.
7-8 rounds vs 13-15 rounds. Higher capacity wins every time.
An I don't have to take the moment to "click" off the safety. In a SHTF senario that moment or more might just be a life or death difference.
1911 has proven itself a great weapon. But someone always makes one better. Someday the same argument will be made about polymer guns.

Back
Top Bottom