1911 Info

. Can you tell me anything about a Colet bushing? If it is still there, should it be changed?
The collet bushing is pictured on the right below. Basically it was a cost savings thing in the series 70. If I was going to carry a 1911 that had a collet bushing, I'd swap it out for a solid one....if it was just a range gun or a collectors piece, it would be fine as is.

www.m1911.org_images_dana_bushing.jpg

Not to start a flame ware, but based on accuracy reports, I don't doubt the 50 rounds story. Many.(not all) Leo shoot just enough to qualify.with. Look at Leo trade in glocks sometimes, internally perfect, externally.worn. From what I've seen, pushing Leo.to train more is fairly recent. Not every Leo is a gun enthusiast, to some its a tool of the trade. Not every Leo gets in gun fights. Just my. 02, but look for yourself.
(by the way, I'm not bashing Leo in any matter. Seems as if I recall it wasn't after a serious shoot out that the FBI became pushing the need for.better training. Back in the 70's, who knows what qual and training requirements were.)

but back to the op,
I really can't see where you're making a bad decision if you do get it at a fair value. Its a classic. 1911, although shooter grade, its still a 1911 and still a colt. Best of all? You can actually.enjoy.it without worrying about finish wear. :)

Last edited:
Not to start a flame ware, but based on accuracy reports, I don't doubt the 50 rounds story. Many.(not all) Leo shoot just enough to qualify.with. Look at Leo trade in glocks sometimes, internally perfect, externally.worn. From what I've seen, pushing Leo.to train more is fairly recent. Not every Leo is a gun enthusiast, to some its a tool of the trade. Not every Leo gets in gun fights. Just my. 02, but look for yourself.
(by the way, I'm not bashing Leo in any matter. Seems as if I recall it wasn't after a serious shoot out that the FBI became pushing the need for.better training. Back in the 70's, who knows what qual and training requirements were.)

but back to the op,
I really can't see where you're making a bad decision if you do get it at a fair value. Its a classic. 1911, although shooter grade, its still a 1911 and still a colt. Best of all? You can actually.enjoy.it without worrying about finish wear. :)

I will agree that most of the LEO's that I know do not shoot except to practice before having to qualify. 50 rounds though through a LEO duty weapon? Highly doubtful, but possible I suppose. Like you said, we don't know what training and qualifying requirements were back then. But I never 100% believe any story that someone tells me when trying to sell or trade me a gun unless it has proven documentation to go along with the story.

The collett bushing was Colts attempt to improve stock accuracy out of the box. It gives a MUCH tighter fit, at the cost of loss of extended longevity.
The fingers have a tendency to break.
If you do change it, you might need to do some minor fitting.

Other than that, get it and RUN THE SNOT OUT OF IT!!!

I will agree that most of the LEO's that I know do not shoot except to practice before having to qualify. 50 rounds though through a LEO duty weapon? Highly doubtful, but possible I suppose. Like you said, we don't know what training and qualifying requirements were back then. But I never 100% believe any story that someone tells me when trying to sell or trade me a gun unless it has proven documentation to go along with the story.

yup, I traded a glock 19 off that I put 1700 rounds through, lived in a kydex holster, ran a course.with it, dryfired extensively, still looked new.

Thanks for the input. Has a set of custom moccasin grips with the originals. Can you tell me anything about a Colet bushing? If it is still there, should it be changed?

As previous posters mentioned, collet bushings were an attempt to get a tighter fit without all the handwork involved in fitting a solid bushing. My Series 70 Gold Cup had one that shot fine for the first 2 years I had it, but rumors at the time persisted that the collet fingers would break at the most inopportune times (I never personally met anyone who had this happen). When I had the gun tightened up, I went ahead and had my gunsmith fit a match bushing to it (he insisted) and it has shot great ever since. I'm still partial to the Series 70s, as they don't have the firing pin safety of the Series 80s that makes it harder to achieve a good trigger pull.

Not to start a flame ware, but based on accuracy reports, I don't doubt the 50 rounds story. Many.(not all) Leo shoot just enough to qualify.with. Look at Leo trade in glocks sometimes, internally perfect, externally.worn. From what I've seen, pushing Leo.to train more is fairly recent. Not every Leo is a gun enthusiast, to some its a tool of the trade. Not every Leo gets in gun fights. Just my. 02, but look for yourself.(by the way, I'm not bashing Leo in any matter. Seems as if I recall it wasn't after a serious shoot out that the FBI became pushing the need for.better training. Back in the 70's, who knows what qual and training requirements were.)but back to the op,I really can't see where you're making a bad decision if you do get it at a fair value. Its a classic. 1911, although shooter grade, its still a 1911 and still a colt. Best of all? You can actually.enjoy.it without worrying about finish wear. :)
Every LE qualification course I have ever seen has been at minimum 200 rounds.

- - - Updated - - -

The collet bushing is pictured on the right below. Basically it was a cost savings thing in the series 70. If I was going to carry a 1911 that had a collet bushing, I'd swap it out for a solid one....if it was just a range gun or a collectors piece, it would be fine as is.
www.m1911.org_images_dana_bushing.jpg
Try again.

Back
Top Bottom